• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing 2 Lionhead bunnies.

npg1

Young Bun
Hi everyone, im new here!

After some advice if you dont mind pleae, I have 2 baby lionheads, they are about 4 months old now. I had a hutch from Pets at home, Poppy den, they seemed very happy in there and they go in a run everyday for most of the day. At the weekend I brought a 2 tier hutch with ramp, think it is 41inch long, think it is thistle hall from pets at home, im worried this is not big enough for my babies and should I swop them back to poppy den?

Last night was their first night in there and they just kept chasing each other round and were constantly 'bonking' each other. I have 2 boys but they are doing it more and more. Today they seemed more settled in the hutch. They havent been out for a run today as it's pouring here. I have put them in my conservatory and they have been there all day with a box to hide in and am considering keeping the in there. They have quite a big area to run, again been humping most of the day, lol!

Any help/ advice would be great please!

Hi there :wave:

Welcome.

Hope all is well.

You may be right about the hutch not being big enough.... a perfect hutch size for 2 buns would be 8 foot by two foot by two foot at least.... and you wont be able to get that from pets at home. There are many places online you can find to make hutches, I wouldnt choose pets at home hutches though, I always think they are well expencive for the quality you get...

As for the mounting... girls and boy buns both do this, sometimes to show dominance or because they are feeling... you know... kinky. Lol. If they are boys then they will need neutering too, my boy is 4 and a half months old and being done on Wednesday so he can get a gf. If you dont neuter them then they may start fighting aggressively (territory thing..)

Luckily neutering for boys is quite an easy op and boys bounce back from it quick.

If you want any more help, PM me (personal message... click on my username :D )

PS, try and upload some pics!!!x

I have a Poppy Den for my bunnies, but I have the door wedged open permanently as its only 3.5 foot long so its far too small to keep them in. Its just a big litter tray/hay rack for them really. I don't know about the other pets at home hutches, but this one would be terrible outside if it rains. The sides are just made of really thin plywood :( I have this hutch in my conservatory for the winter, and they have a 6foot x 2foot x 2foot hutch with a 6foot x 4foot x 2foot run attached in the garden when its warmer. There's loads of similar hutches to this on ebay.#

Hope that helps :)

thanks for your replies. Poppy den wasnt very well made really and the wood was really thin, at least with this one it is better quality. They have been indoors all day today and only in their hutch at night time. I do have a run for them but the weather has been terrible so let them in my conservatory, better all round really as the kids can bond more with them!

Back