• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering- try and find small animal vet

susieb1

Mama Doe
Hi
Just thought I'd add bit of advice after having my bunny neutered on Tuesday. Luckily my vet is a small animal vet and when neutering rabbits keeps them in for between 24 and 48 hours after the op to ensure that their digestive system is working properly. She likes to keep a very close eye on them so that if needed intervention can take place asap. After reading the worries people have with this operation, I would recommend seeking out a small animal vet who is used to doing this op. Definately took a lot of worry out of the equation for me.

I know this may be controversial but personally I think I would prefer them to be home and in their own environment. Two of mine get quite stressed in a new place and being at home may make them more likely to eat.

Yes, I suppose people are all different as are bunnies and you know your bunnies best. However a point to remember is that a stressed owner can also make a bunny stressed. I know I was worried sick about him when he stayed at the vets but at least I wasn't passing this onto him.Luckily my bunny came back from his stay and was his normal self. Maybe I have to thank my super vet for that. Good luck to all embarking on this experience. :)

My vet also normally chooses to keep vets at their surgery until they are eating and pooing normally :wave:

I think unless you are a very rabbit knowledgable owner this is the best way to go :D

My vet also normally chooses to keep vets at their surgery until they are eating and pooing normally :wave:

I think unless you are a very rabbit knowledgable owner this is the best way to go :D

I agree...plus if you are stressed and worried about the bun they can pick up on it and stress then out too

Back