• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can anyone help?

rachy rabbit

Young Bun
Hello,

My bunny Buster has been ill over the last week :( it all started last Sat with a small lump on her eye, i took her straight to the vets who gave her an antibiotic injection and anti inflammatry. Monday evening there were 2 very sore areas on Busters ears, i took her straight to the vets on Tues who said these were lesions and it looked as though she may have nodular myxomatosis. She was given another anti biotic injection. Buster has since started to sneeze, she went back to the vets on Fri and was given another anti biotic injection as these last for 3 days. The vet thought she was doing well and the lesions have turned very black and they are now kind of scabs although very very deep. The bump her on her eye has fallen off. I took her back to the vets tonight and she has now lost some fur on her kneck and it looks like she has a few little spots on her body, she has lost some weight since her first visit to the vets on Sat. The vet is worried this may in fact be a bacterial type of infection which isn't good news. I now have baytril to syringe into her mouth every day. She is eating , drinking, pooing and running round the garden fine but i am so worried about her, has anyone seen anything like this before?

Thanks for any help you have.

Rach

Hello,

thank u for ur comments. Yes she has her myxi jabs every 6 months altho they r due in a couple of weeks. Does any one know if it is ok to squirt baytril oral into a cucumber only buster is in such a mood with me for all the vet visits that she will jus about take food from me but a stroke or a cuddle is a no no at the mo & think I'm gonna have some serious problems trying to syringe it in her mouth.

Thanks
rach

Hello,

thank u for ur comments. Yes she has her myxi jabs every 6 months altho they r due in a couple of weeks. Does any one know if it is ok to squirt baytril oral into a cucumber only buster is in such a mood with me for all the vet visits that she will jus about take food from me but a stroke or a cuddle is a no no at the mo & think I'm gonna have some serious problems trying to syringe it in her mouth.

Thanks
rach

As long as she will actually eat the cucumber it will be OK. It's very important that she receives the meds so you may need to adopt the firm but not rough approach to medicating her via a syringe-ie wrap up up in a towel with just her nose/mouth exposed and administer the Baytril dose. You can add a small drop of fruit juice to try to disguise the taste (which is vile !!)

Good luck :)

Thanks for the advice jacks jane. She really hates being picked up so I very rarely do but I just went for it & I know she's definitely taken it all tonight. She's really not very happy with me now tho :( I will keep you updated on her progress, please keep everything crossed for her, me & smudge (her husbunny) really need her to be ok.

Thanks again.

Rach

If this is myxi then it sounds as though it is progressing very quickly to the stage when the scabs fall off - which is good.

However if at all possible then it is a huge help to keep them in a warm environment - and as the nights are getting chilly now I would really suggest bringing them both inside.

We're not sure if it's myxi, the only problem that buster has had with her eyes is the tiny bump which has now fallen off. There is no redness or water/gunk coming from them. It's jus the sores & spots she is getting on her body & the sneezing, have u ever heard of anything like this before?

The big problem we have with bringing them inside is the only room they can stay in is the kitchen which has patio doors so it's like a glasshouse in there during the day & would b far too hot for them. We was thinking of bringing them in over nite & then taking them back outside during the day but was worried that the temperature change would b too much for them, wat do u think?

Thanks for your advice.

Rach

Thank you. I have checked out the link you provided, it doesn't seem to be the same problem that buster us having. They r more like scabs on her rather than sores as they aren't open. She has a few more spots arrive, which are turning straight to scabs-thankfully they aren't as large as the original ones but I'm really worried about her. She's starting to feel really boney when she has always been a bit of a chubby bunny but she us eating fine & looking happy enough running round the garden. I'm really scared of losing her, I jus want to get her better.

Hey guys,

I know its been a while but I just thought I would let you know the update on this thread. It was confirmed that it was Myxi that Buster had, but thankfully it was a mild form and she has done very well and is now fully recovered. Thank you very much for all your comments and it really helped reading through other peoples experiences. I am very pleased to say this story had a happy ending and here's a picture of my baby now she is feeling better!

Lookatmycutelittleface.jpg

Thank you so much for updating everyone - its always great to hear what the eventual outcome was (especially if its a happy ending!!)

Back