• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bunny not right since I came back from hols

Honey has become quite unfriendly and withdrawn since I came back from a weeks holiday. She is eating but definately not as much as she did before I went away, she hardly drinks any water, she is staying in her room and doesn't venture into the rest of the house like she used to. I have also noticed a small patch of fur on her neck that looks like it has been cut but obviously it hasn't. Can anyone offer any advice please, I'm a little worried about my beautiful bunny, thanks

Last edited:
Honey has become quite unfriendly and withdrawn since I came back from a weeks holiday. She is eating but definately not as much as she did before I went away, she hardly drinks any water, she is staying in her room and doesn't venture into the rest of the house like she used to. I have also noticed a small patch of fur on her neck that looks like it has been cut but obviously it hasn't. Can anyone offer any advice please, I'm a little worried about my beautiful bunny, thanks

Rabbits don't tolerate change very well and succumb very easily to stress (emotional as well as physical). When house bunny owners in particular go away for a day even house buns can experience the separation quite strongly and the emotional upset can cause immune suppression to some extent - i.e they can get sick, stop eating (usually this is the trigger) or not eat so much and very often bunny sitters aren't as familiar with our rabbits as we are and notice the symptoms early on. One of our buns gets GI stasis if we leave him, although this has improved greatly by getting him a bonded bunny friend for company.

Okay so I think your bunny needs to see a vet today - if she's not right then she needs a quick check over and the patch on her back sounds suspiciously like fur mites...or it could be something else. Either way you need a vet to check it out. Good luck and I hope she feels better soon. :)
Meanwhile try and tempt her with lots of yummy herbs/leaves to encourage her to keep eating as much as possible. I would suggest you ask your vet to check her teeth and examine her abdomen as well.

we've been to the vets, work just had to wait, Honey has had a couple of injections to stimulate her gut, hopefully this is going to work, need to take her back tomorrow for further check up. Glad I've taken her. The patch of fur the vet thought was just where she malts in a funny way, hopefully thats all it is.

My Maximus gets bald patches too when he malts, i was really worried the first time i found them but the hair grows back within 7days and the skin is not flakey, red or irritated in the slightest :) so it is possible thats the case with Honey. :)

we've been to the vets, work just had to wait, Honey has had a couple of injections to stimulate her gut, hopefully this is going to work, need to take her back tomorrow for further check up. Glad I've taken her. The patch of fur the vet thought was just where she malts in a funny way, hopefully thats all it is.

Did the vet check her teeth? and examine her abdomen carefully? If she is slightly off her food then you need to encourage as much as possible to eat her favourite things....and if possible offer some freshly washed and damp veg/herbs (things she is used to of course - no sudden changes) - as this will help to hydrate the gut contents and push them along a bit. I'd also make sure she is active and warm enough to keep her temp up if her tum is a bit slow.

Back