• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A question regarding neutering.

KerrBear

New Kit
I called my vet to discuss having my little guy neutered. I was informed that my bunny should NOT eat from about 10pm the night before.

But according to the FAQ Neutering thread, a bunny should never be starved before the surgery.

Why did the vet instruct me not to feed him before his operation?

I apologise if this question has been answered elsewhere. I have searched through the Care section and cannot find an answer as to why bunnies should be fed/not fed before surgery.

:shock:
A bunny should NEVER be fasted.
I would quiz your vet and if he hasn't got confused about a dog/cat neuter then I'd put my trust in another vet.

oohh eeehhh

I'd probably be looking at getting another vet to neuter my bunny and treat him from now on :shock:

Many animals (including us) have to be starved before a GA as it prevents vomiting during surgury.

Rabbits don't generally (although there is a bit of a discussion about it) have the ability to vomit so you do not need to starve them. More importantly because of how their digestive tract operates then need to have food and water passing through their guts frequently. If they don't the digestive tract can shut down which can cause serious illness and even death. Rabbits in general should not go more than a few hours without eating.

Like Spider said, a bunny should not be fasted and a decent bunny vet should know this.

It is very dangerous to fast a rabbit. Bunnies need to eat continually to keep their guts working, fasting would likely lead to problems with gut statis. Besides this, the reason for fasting animals prior to surgery is so they do not vomit. However, rabbits cannot vomit, again, making fasting pointless.

I would try and find a more rabbit savvy vet to perform the operation. Best of luck.

ETA I posted at the same time as ECUDC :lol:

Last edited:
Was it the vet who said it, or a receptionist?

If it was a vet, run as fast as you can in the other direction. If it was a receptionist, and the vet knows not to fast, then have a quiet word with the vet about educating the receptionist.

Was it the vet who said it, or a receptionist?

If it was a vet, run as fast as you can in the other direction. If it was a receptionist, and the vet knows not to fast, then have a quiet word with the vet about educating the receptionist.

This is a good point, my vet is the best vet in the world but the receptionists are a abit dozy :lol: I had a card written by a receptionist to say Ghostie is due her HVD.. :roll: :lol:

Not as outrageous as you might think spidey, cylap is actually called cylap hvd, that's prob what she means. On the original question i would ring up and ask them to clarify. If they still insist def fast, i would find another vet. If they agree don't fast i would ask them to remind all staff.

I had this situation once with a new receptionist, I told her that this was not the case and could she please go and talk to Rachel the practice owner... she came back and apologised so I just said it was ok and told her how important it was she didn't give anyone else the same info. She's fine now :D

Back