• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best hay

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Hey guys i have a question on hay.
We used to buy pets at home timothy hay, excel herbage and another brand and mux them all together but really are quite unimpressed with the pets at home hay, we orderee oxbrow western timothy hay and orchard grass which he LOVES! Are these hays suitable?

A friend has horses and he gets us a bale of meadow hay. It works out far, far cheaper than buying weeny bags from petshops. A bale costs us 2.50! We store it in bin liners in the shed. Horse owners won't buy poor quality hay.

I've just rang the local stables...a bale of hay for £7...is this reasonable:(

i pay £4.50 for a bale for my guinea pigs - lovely stuff but doesn't suit lord eric's tum so he has the vitaverde with herbs plus burns green oat.

I would say a little on the expensive side but a bale will last you much longer than getting it in other forms. I will stop buying bagged hay (apart from special eating hay) and go for a bale as soon as we got our shed re-built and watertight.

I think that's quite a lot, mine is organic meadow hay and only costs £4 a bale, might be worth asking any horse owners you know where they get theirs from, as all the horse owners round here are very fussy about the quality of their hay - so if it's good enough for them it should be good enough for bunnies!!

erm, no! well not if your buying it for a horse, but as a bunny owner one bale will last forever so £7 is a bargain :D saying that, I pay £3 for my hay, but I do have horses on the yard

In comparison to what you'll pay for small bags from the pet shop, £7 is quite reasonable!!! Depends what the quality is like though. I get mine for £2.50, but if I could only get it for 7 and it was good quality I would :)

Back