• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help!

danielle50

New Kit
i have a rabbit which had 3 18 day old babies up until i went out 2nite and there was only 2 babies remainding. i can only assume the mother as ate one as they are kept in the shed which has been locked. will she eat the others? i dont want to put them at risk by leavin them in ther but on the other hand im not sure if they wil survive away form mom at this stage. the one that has obviously died was very small so im assuming it was a runt. i just dont know what to do for the best. the babies are up and about and really fluffly with there eyes open, just dont want it to eat these ones aswel if i can avoid it but as ive discovered rabbits are very queer animals in the sense you just dont know what theyl do. any help but be appreciated.
p.s i also have 2 6 week old babies from the sane mother as she got preg with the present ones hours after the first lot before i split them up.

i have a rabbit which had 3 18 day old babies up until i went out 2nite and there was only 2 babies remainding. i can only assume the mother as ate one as they are kept in the shed which has been locked. will she eat the others? i dont want to put them at risk by leavin them in ther but on the other hand im not sure if they wil survive away form mom at this stage. the one that has obviously died was very small so im assuming it was a runt. i just dont know what to do for the best. the babies are up and about and really fluffly with there eyes open, just dont want it to eat these ones aswel if i can avoid it but as ive discovered rabbits are very queer animals in the sense you just dont know what theyl do. any help but be appreciated.
p.s i also have 2 6 week old babies from the sane mother as she got preg with the present ones hours after the first lot before i split them up.

Thats quite late for the mum to have eaten it... usually they will eat the babies if they know they cannot produce milk to rear them or there are simular issues.... but I have only ever known it happen within 24 hours of the babies being born.......

Are you sure it isnt hidden under some hay etc? Sometimes no longer living babies can be hard to find... but I dont think shes eaten it....

Thats only my experience though

i have had a little rummage around but cant seem to see anything, cant ratch to much as its making me feel sick, from what i seen ther was no sign of it??

May be best to wait till the morning... the mum may have 'sorted' that baby out because there was something wrong with it, you can have another look when it is light and see how the rest are doing... they should be all fluffy and looking like mini rabbits now.... do they look like this?

yeah they definately do ther fluffy and got ther eyes open. this could of happened anytime form last night as that was the last time i was in ther until 2nite.

I think if theyre that old its more likely the bun has escaped, you cant see it or something else got it. Mummy may 'nibble' on babies at this stage... but not fully eat it. The buns are able to stick up for themselves more at this age.

See what everyone else says....

Sorry for your loss

thers no way it could of got out of the hutch it wouldnt of fit threw the bars and there is no other wya to get out plus they are in a locked shed so i would see it cos the only thing in ther is the cages. im confused. some websites are sayint they can eat them others not.

Like I said, I always thought it was really young babies that could get eaten by mum..... not over a fortnight old... :S

i know thats what i thought, im just so confused, think iv had the worse luck in the world. my 2 rabbits were suppose to be boys then i found babies then 4 weeks alter i found more babies and now this confusion. thanks for taking the time to reply :)

i would`nt have thought they ate them at that age, not sure though, prob sound daft but nobody nicked it did they!

Back