• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Recommended Rescue Centres in Reading, Berks area?

Wigs

Warren Scout
Hi all,

I have been looking at various rabbit rescue centres in the Reading area, as I am hoping to get a boyfriend for my newly spayed female mini rex (6 1/2 months old). So far I have just been looking online, I have not actually called/visited any of the centres. Before I do so, I was wondering if anyone has any experience of any of the rescue centres within travelling distance of Reading?

Valentine is our first bun, so I am a bit nervous about the whole bonding process. Ideally I would therefore like to find a rescue centre that would be able to help us with the bonding.

Does anyone have any advice on how to find a good rescue centre, or any tips on the bonding process itself? I have read a lot of the threads on here that discuss how to bond two rabbits - but still feel as though I don't really have a clue what I am doing! I would be really keen to find out what resources etc people used to help them the first time they did a bond.

Thank you! :)

Hi all,

I have been looking at various rabbit rescue centres in the Reading area, as I am hoping to get a boyfriend for my newly spayed female mini rex (6 1/2 months old). So far I have just been looking online, I have not actually called/visited any of the centres. Before I do so, I was wondering if anyone has any experience of any of the rescue centres within travelling distance of Reading?

Valentine is our first bun, so I am a bit nervous about the whole bonding process. Ideally I would therefore like to find a rescue centre that would be able to help us with the bonding.

Does anyone have any advice on how to find a good rescue centre, or any tips on the bonding process itself? I have read a lot of the threads on here that discuss how to bond two rabbits - but still feel as though I don't really have a clue what I am doing! I would be really keen to find out what resources etc people used to help them the first time they did a bond.

Thank you! :)

http://www.bobtailsrescue.org.uk/opening.asp Probably a bit far but a top rescue and I have experience of them and would recommend :D They will also bond for you.
I think there is another one a bit closer in Surrey:
http://www.greenfieldsrescue.co.uk/news2.asp?newsID=91 but i'm not sure it's still operating at the moment or not?!:? But I understand it is/was very good. I don't think they are taking buns in any longer but may rehome still if any left??

how far are you willing to travel? arc in twickenham is about an hour away & very good. up north, more of a 1.5 hours is fatfluffs (us), underhill (?) as well. there are probably loads more oxford/bristol way too.

Not many in Oxford I'm afraid, except Stadhampton:shock:. There is the Blue Cross in Burford (Lewknor don't 'do' bunnies)

Greenfields has not been operational for at least a year now.

ARC will rehome to homes near Reading. We do have a home checker reasonably near your area and also someone who would be able to bond your bunny to one of ours who lives near Junction 3 of the M3. We have lots of bunnies at the moment looking for homes.

If you would like more information or a rehoming questionnaire which helps us help you go through the adoption process, please contact either Helen 'The duchess' or myself and we can help guide you.

http://www.bobtailsrescue.org.uk/opening.asp Probably a bit far but a top rescue and I have experience of them and would recommend :D They will also bond for you.
I think there is another one a bit closer in Surrey:
http://www.greenfieldsrescue.co.uk/news2.asp?newsID=91 but i'm not sure it's still operating at the moment or not?!:? But I understand it is/was very good. I don't think they are taking buns in any longer but may rehome still if any left??

Lorna at Green Fields isn't actively rehoming but she does have two bunnies that are available for adoption (but not by contacting her directly) and has provided me with the full details for possible adoption through the ARC process if none of our own ARC rabbits fit the bill.

Both of the rabbits need special homes, the female is very, very timid and would need a very experienced handler. The male is called Onslow, is about 1yr old, a medium large agouti lop and is a very lively boy. He again would need an experienced home where the carer lets him be a rabbit. He's a bit bolshy and doesn't really trust anyone. He would probably benefit from being paired with a rabbit that is happy to be handled by humans so that he can learn that it's okay.

If you are interested in this or if you are interested in being homechecked for ARC (which would cover a Green Fields adoption too) then please PM me. In both cases we can do the bonding for you.

As Janice has already said ARC are able to homecheck in the Reading area and if you are able to give me your e-mail address I can send you our adoption questionnaire. We have lots of lovely bunnies available so have a look at our website which is up to date at the moment.

You could also try Reading Rabbits (RSPCA) which is near Caversham. If you pm Nix on here she may be able to help you as she volunteers there. http://www.readingrabbits.org.uk/page.php?11

Helen

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the replies, I will definitely take a look at these places tonight (on my lunch break atm!).

We do have some changes to make before we would be able to adopt... Valentine is currently living in a double storey hutch, with attached run (hutch ~ 4' x 4' x 2', run ~ 8' x 4' x 2'). We have found a shed that we want to move her into, but would need to insulate and set up the inside of the shed, and put in a cat flap so that a (bigger) run can be attached to the side. Plus she was only spayed a week and a half ago - so we would not want to take in another bun for about 4-5 weeks when her hormones have died down (is this about right??).

That said, I really would like to get the ball rolling soon as I hate her being on her own :( Hopefully we can get the shed sorted in the next couple of weeks at which point I will be able to contact rescue centres directly for home visits and whatever else is needed.

Helen, Janice and Katie - thank you for the information - I will definitely have a look at ARC tonight, and may well pm you at some point soon!!

Thank you so much for the replies, I will definitely take a look at these places tonight (on my lunch break atm!).

We do have some changes to make before we would be able to adopt... Valentine is currently living in a double storey hutch, with attached run (hutch ~ 4' x 4' x 2', run ~ 8' x 4' x 2'). We have found a shed that we want to move her into, but would need to insulate and set up the inside of the shed, and put in a cat flap so that a (bigger) run can be attached to the side. Plus she was only spayed a week and a half ago - so we would not want to take in another bun for about 4-5 weeks when her hormones have died down (is this about right??).

That said, I really would like to get the ball rolling soon as I hate her being on her own :( Hopefully we can get the shed sorted in the next couple of weeks at which point I will be able to contact rescue centres directly for home visits and whatever else is needed.

Helen, Janice and Katie - thank you for the information - I will definitely have a look at ARC tonight, and may well pm you at some point soon!!

You sound like a very responsible owner and are doing a great job at getting a new set up etc, i hope we hear from you soon :D

You sound like a very responsible owner and are doing a great job at getting a new set up etc, i hope we hear from you soon :D

Thank you, that's good to hear :D I have been spending loooads of time reading up on bunny health/behaviour etc and of course checking out all the really helpful information on this forum! Just really want to make sure that I am doing the best for my little one :love:

Back