• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffles

Jan

Warren Scout
Just come back from the vet poor Ruby has Snuffles again! Back in July both she and Joe had it. The Baytril seemed to do the trick but the last 4 days Ruby started sneezing again. This afternoon she did about 5 sneezes on the trot. Joe seems to be ok which is a relief as he is 10 now. The vet said she can`t be spayed until she is clear of this and there will be a higher risk when she goes in for her op. So here we are back on the Baytril for 2 weeks. The other thing she told me is that it would be best not to get another bun to put in with her in the future so does this mean she will have to live on her own when Joe is no longer around.
I know that it doesn`t bare thinking of as I hope Joe will be with us for many more years yet, but I don`t like the thought of this at all.
Has anybody else had this dilema?:(

Hiya,

My Cindy has suffered with what we think is snuffles. Sneezing with white discharge coming out. She's been on baytril three times, and it seems to work then the sneezing comes back again. So shes been giving a swab test (up the nose) to determine exactly what bacteria is causing it. Shes on different meds right now as the baytril wasnt getting us anywhere. Let me know how you get on :wave:

The other thing she told me is that it would be best not to get another bun to put in with her in the future so does this mean she will have to live on her own when Joe is no longer around.

I've not been through this myself, but there is no pressing reason in my mind as to why she can't have another bunny friend in the future. Most buns carry certain bacteria in their respiratory airways that can lead to an infection if bun's immunity is under parr, but this doesn't necessarily mean that another bun would contract the infection from her if his/her immunity was strong and they were in good health. I suppose there is a risk yes, but it's not a sure thing. Pasturella is I think carried by around 50% of rabbits anyway??:? - not all go down with a full blown infection. I think some other members will be able to help better here re. URTI's and bunny partners.....many have been through this.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.pdf

Back