• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A rookie mistake? Help please,

Jemadra

New Kit
Hi,

I'm new on the forum and new to being a rabbit mum. I have always had guinea pigs but 3 weeks ago I bought a lop cross (doe) from P@H. I have fallen in love with her and rabbits in general. She is called Lola (the lop eared lunar bunny to give her her full title) Three days ago I saw another lop cross in P@H and fell in love all over again. The P@H sales person assured me that bonding two young females was not a problem, explained how to do it, and of course I bought her. She is called Poppy (Miss Poppy Merryweather) Was this a rookie mistake?

I have since read online on various sites many many different opinions on this. Some seem to agree with P@H sales person and some seem to say I will have to separate them shortly even if they do bond until I get them spayed. I would hate to have to do this as they are house bunnies. Lola lives in a 6ft x 2ft , and the second cage I have is much smaller than I would like and I would hope Poppy wouldn't have to be in it for too long. Lola is out out for approx 4 -7 hours a day. I am taking it slow with Poppy. Poppy's cage is now around 4 inches from Lola's pen with no problems.

What should I do? I don't want to have to take Poppy back. I think it would break my heart already. But if bonding them is an impossible or inadvisable thing then should I reconsider? I realise I should have done more homework before getting her but it really was love at first sight.

Any advice appreciated.

Emma.

The reason for the conflicting information is sometimes it works without a hitch and sometimes not at all. A male-female bond has better odds so that's why it usually recommended.

How old are they?

With same sex rabbits neutering is essential to reduce the territorial urges that start fights.

Hi Tamsin :wave:

Lola is 15 weeks old and Poppy is 12 weeks old.

I am definitely getting them spayed. I can't find a vet in or near Belfast to do it any earlier than six months although I know some vets do.

I've been lucky and introduced two young unrelated females with very few problems. This was in my 'rookie' days and I didn't even get them spayed. Fortunately, I now know better.

However, my advice is to start the bonding process whilst they're very young and then get them spayed as soon as you possibly can. Hope it all works out for you - there's no reason why it shouldn't work but just be prepared for the worst!

Yes they usually won't start fighting until their hormones take control and this might not be until they are 10months or so old. You could bond them now and get them neutered as soon as they are 6 months old. But you will have to judge whether they are happy together or not. If they don't seem to get on then wait until they are neutered.

I've been lucky and introduced two young unrelated females with very few problems. This was in my 'rookie' days and I didn't even get them spayed. Fortunately, I now know better.

However, my advice is to start the bonding process whilst they're very young and then get them spayed as soon as you possibly can. Hope it all works out for you - there's no reason why it shouldn't work but just be prepared for the worst!

Thank you, it's nice to know that someone remembers their rookie days, everyone here seems so experienced and I am feeling a little overwhelmed by my beautiful bunnies.

Thanks for the reply :love:

We all have to start somewhere, and its nice when the 'rookie' is actually really intrested in taking the best advice!
Good luck with your bunsters X

We all have to start somewhere, and its nice when the 'rookie' is actually really intrested in taking the best advice!
Good luck with your bunsters X

Wholeheartedly agree with this. I've kept rabbits for well over 20 years now but I'm still learning. Anyone who says they know everything there is to know about rabbits is lying:lol: Absorb everything and then use whatever information you feel is right for your bunnies and your situation.

Welcome to the forum by the way:wave:

I have two fourteen week old dwarf lop sisters, I got them when they were both eight weeks old. The hope was that they would live together before and after neutering (at six months). Everything went well for two weeks and then the hormones kicked in and they started fighting - one ended up with a bitten ear. We have had to split the bunny room and they have a half each. They still seem to be friends and they lie next to each other at the bars and groom each other which is great and hopefully means they will be able to be rebonded properly when they have been neutered.

Good luck with your two, but my experience has been that they can start fighting from as early as ten weeks!!

Thanks everyone, I think I will take it slowly and see how they are with each other. I work form home and they are with me all day so I can watch them.

Thanks for the welcome too :love:
Emma

completely agree, i cringe at mistakes ive made in the past!

Oh God! Me too............I've made some howlers on my poor bunnies - not neutering, over-feeding, flystrike, wrong diet etc. I just want to cry at how badly things turned out due to my inexperience but you learn from your mistakes and move on. I think this needs another 'howlers' thread ..................... [sneaks off to start one]

Back