• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vhd

Amy104

Warren Veteran
I have my first appointment with my new vets on Thursday.

I have been speaking to one of the nurses via email about Lapinject as my old vet would only use Cylap and most of my buns are normally pretty off colour post vaccine.

Good news is the new vets seem really accomodating and are happy to look into it for me but at present they don't know much about it.

Please could anyone whos had bad experiences with cylap or anyone who has experience of Lapinject post so I can print this info and pass to my vet.

Thanks. :)

When I last took my four buns for their VHD, the vet gave them Cylap. One of them was very off colour and basically limping around for 24hrs afterwards. Most vets know about these reations and aren't normally worried about them. But if LapInject is available then clearly it's better to avoid the reaction altogether. If your vet can't get LapInject then you should ask them to use different needles to draw the vaccine up into the syringe and to inject into the rabbit which can prevent a nasty reaction at the injection site due to the fluid being on the outside of the needle as it is injected.

Lapinject gives immunity in just 6 days - with cylap it's 21 days so from that point of view alone it has got to be better :)

Anecdotally many rabbits feel off colour for a couple of days after a cylap jab, it is said to cause 'vhd limp' affecting a bun's leg and making it limp for a few days (although I don't think this is listed on the datasheet despite numerous conversations about this!), and can also cause a 'burn' wound at the site of the injection - although again anecdotally this can be lessened by changing the needle between drawing up and administering the vaccine.

I have heard that it is also much cheaper to purchase - so even though it comes in a pot of 5 vaccinations that all have to be used on the same day - the vet should see more income from a part-used pot than from a single cylap. My vet keeps both in stock and will use either depending on client preference and how many bunnies are booked in for vaccinating each day.

Thanks for the replys.

Bluebell in particular has had the Limp more than once. Although it doesn't seem to cause him a problem and generally dissappears after 24hrs I'm keen to try Lapinject as an alternative so any info I can give the vet is great.

Back