• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adding a rabbit to my already bonded pair

Lymie

New Kit
I just got my two boys a little over a month ago, and it's been quite the learning curve. I'm a little nervous about adding this male to my herd, he'll be the 14th critter, but I have room and he needs to get out of the situation he's in. He's free roaming and neutered, so that's all taken care of. My boys however, are not. We'll, they're free roaming. I do have plans to neuter them when their balls drop, which should be soon.

I do have a cage, but they haven't been in it for a while. Should I put the new guy in and set it on the floor for a few days (changing them out so he can get exercise) and let them meet in neutral territory?

I don't want anyone getting hurt, and if I have to say no to the new boy I will. I would like to give him a chance, though.

I've been doing some reading just now about un-neatured males, and that they mount/fight/mark terrirotry. Mine are out full-time together and get a long great. They groom each other, eat with together, sleep together and play. They WILL get neatured, but I think it's weird that they don't fight at all. Maybe they're to young?

Last edited:
So there are 14 bucks? all too young to be neuterd? If I've understood your post right I think it will be difficult to add the new bun because it will be very hard to split that many rabbits up if fights break out.

Simon- from what i gathered the new bun is just going to be added to that pair. Maybe the others are kept somewhere seperate, or could even be hamsters, as it only says critters? Im not sure...best wait for op.

But if the males balls havent dropped yet an as yo said youve had them a month, im guessing theyre still very young, 12 weeks if you got them ages 8 weeks, which explains the lack of bad behaviour. My female was about 14-15 weeks old when she started showing dominace signs of humping, and only to a new rabbit not my other one she'd met before.

Id be a bit wary with males as iv heard theyre much more likely to fight. However, saying that as theyre young they MAY be ok. Most of the people i know with male only pairs/groups have them from the same litter or the same age and kept together from 8 weeks or before.

However, with my rabbits what i did was keep them in a pen next to each other for a few days so they could smell and see each other. Then bring them to neutral territory and let them get on with it. Luckily i had no problems. A bit of mounting, a few small nips, but that was it. I kept them together for a an hour the first day, and increased it over time. I then put them in each others cages so theyd get used to the other buns smell in their territory. Then finaly after doing this and knowing they were fine together for hours, i put them together.

As i said, if yours are about 12 weeks, they should hopefully be ok but as theyre male i have no experiance, so before attempting wait for someone who has experiance to reply. Im in the process of bonding my 7 year old female and 7 month female, then the male the young female was with (hes recently been neutored so is currently seperate), and again have no problems so far.

Sorry i cant really help but im sure someone else will be along soon.

:oops:Sorry, Sunday morning, many beers last night :). I think the young buns will be ok. it's the older one that's more likely to be aggressive. If you are going to bond them while the pair are so young be careful. If the older one mounts the younger two don't let it last long as he might hurt there back's.

So there are 14 bucks? all too young to be neuterd? If I've understood your post right I think it will be difficult to add the new bun because it will be very hard to split that many rabbits up if fights break out.

No, no, no! Sorry for the misunderstanding. I have dogs, birds, cats and fish as well! Just two rabbits.

Back