• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

confused about bunny bonding

crazy daisy

Warren Scout
Hi everyone:wave: ive already posted a thread on bonding my bunnies but i think i put it in the wrong place so im going to try again! ive got 2 bunnies a neutured male, gizmo whos about 4 and an unneutured female, daisy whos about 3. They are currently in separate hutches but are together in the garden and they get on well:love:, although they do chase each other and try and hump each other!! but no biting or scratching is involved. However a couple of times ive had to put them away quickly they have both been in gizmos hutch where he has chased her about but yet again no biting is involved. Is this normal? i would like to put them in the same hutch (im currently planning on building new hutch(es)) but not sure on how to bond as they both have full access to the garden (supervised) so there is no neutral ground.
sorry for the long post just want some advice before i maybe build one hutch too many!:? http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab118/gizmo_daisy/DSC00097.jpg
DSC00097.jpg
Photo021.jpg
DSC00327.jpg
Photo016.jpg

ive looked at the bonding thread and my bunnies look like the ones in the pics does that mean they have maybe bonded themselves?? can this happen?

Last edited:
I'd say that your bunnies are bonded by looking at the photos and should therefore not be split up at any time. Rabbits do hump and chase during the bonding process in order to set up the pecking order. They also continue to do this during their ongoing relationship so provided there is never any agression or injury, then let them stay together.

If either of the accommodations is already big enough (6x2x2) then I'd neutralise it by disinfecting and descenting, put in some new litter trays, toys etc and then always house them together.

Once bonded it's actually quite unkind to keep splitting, which seems to be what is happening when they get put away in their hutches.

If you are planning on putting them in a new hutch (which you have to build) I'd find a temprorary way of housing them together until then.

From the pictures, they look like 2 very happy bunnies who are bonded... may i ask why you seperate them at night, but let them together in the day? :) Really, that is delaying the bonding process. If they get on fine in the garden, but not in the current hutches, it may be because each hutch is individual territory maybe? Maybe once the new hutch is build they will be fine together? i cant see a reason why they wont be :)

You actually live near Kris on here who runs Starlights Rabbit Rescue, she offers a bonding service i believe :) Just for peace of mind if you arent confident with leaving them together overnight and have no neuteral territory?

If you want to PM Kris, its Starlightsrabbitrescue :)

xXx

Thank you both for your posts. They have always been in separate hutches i used to keep a guinea pig in with daisy (this was a while ago before i realised that they couldnt be housed together), and i they seemed fine with the setup. Gizmo hutch is the biggest although it is not 6x2 but i do have a week off in a couple of weeks so i could try putting them in the same hutch overnight then, would that be ok? What is the best thing to use to completely neutralise the smell of gizmo, i use a disinfectant pet spray at the moment but which is good but not sure whether i should use something stronger. Sorry if i seem abit of a novice i didnt realise that bunnies should be bonded as mine get on well.

don't worry, I was always used to putting mine away in separate, but adjacent hutches until I was re-educated by the guys on here...I now have a pair and a group of 5!!

Thank you both for your posts. They have always been in separate hutches i used to keep a guinea pig in with daisy (this was a while ago before i realised that they couldnt be housed together), and i they seemed fine with the setup. Gizmo hutch is the biggest although it is not 6x2 but i do have a week off in a couple of weeks so i could try putting them in the same hutch overnight then, would that be ok? What is the best thing to use to completely neutralise the smell of gizmo, i use a disinfectant pet spray at the moment but which is good but not sure whether i should use something stronger. Sorry if i seem abit of a novice i didnt realise that bunnies should be bonded as mine get on well.

Hi.

Some people use vinegar and water solution and wet the surfaces really well, and allow to dry naturally. Ideally do it on a really sunny warm day so that it can dry properly before you put them in it. I use Simple Solution odour remover which is great and neutralises all animal odours. Can be bought in pet shops and online. I'd also get a new litter tray and bowls etc so that nothing in the hutch belonged to one of the bunnies in particular. Should work out fine.

Good luck.

Helen

I would love more but have limited space to put hutches as we are in a rented house and cant put hutches on the grass :(. I will try and get some of that Simple Solution, fingers crossed!! would love for them to be together all of the time:love: if im successful what size hutch would be ok for a pair?

I would love more but have limited space to put hutches as we are in a rented house and cant put hutches on the grass :(. I will try and get some of that Simple Solution, fingers crossed!! would love for them to be together all of the time:love: if im successful what size hutch would be ok for a pair?

6'x2'x2' ideally with a 6'x4' run.:)

A hutch which is 6 foot x 2 foot high by 2 foot deep is the best size hutch for a pair of rabbits. There are also lots of other ways to house rabbits including wendy houses and sheds, although I think from your post that you would be unable to do this.

If you would like a list of possible places where you can buy a decent sized hutch please pm me and I can send you details.

thanks both of you :wave:the area i was going to put their new hutch, all being well, is 6ft long, 3ft deep and i was think of having 3 levels one of which being the run, which will be 2 ft high each. Do you think this is too high? Im attemting to design it myself and going to try and find someone close that will build it for me!!

thanks both of you :wave:the area i was going to put their new hutch, all being well, is 6ft long, 3ft deep and i was think of having 3 levels one of which being the run, which will be 2 ft high each. Do you think this is too high? Im attemting to design it myself and going to try and find someone close that will build it for me!!

2' is perfect as your buuny needs to be able to stand up on there back legs. also bear in mind getting it in and out of your house and the materials used building it. most doorways are 2 and a bit foot wide. also ask your chippy to use heavy duty materials like 2x2" timber and 18mm ply, these materials will last for a long time. good luck with your rabbits and there new home.:)

Back