• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New and puzzled !!!

coxy145

New Kit
Hey guys ive just found this great site on the net! :)

I have 2 conti giant does one who has just had a litter of 11 3 days ago. with two nests ?? is this normal? she had 2 in one and the rest in the outside nest !

Thanks advice needed Lisa XX

Rabbits can't pick babies up to move them so sometimes they build a second nest around some of the babies if they were born in the wrong place.

If one babies on it's own, move it in with the others so they can share warmth and get fed regularly.

Thanks for the reply :)

Thats what i thought!!
i did that when they were born ! but 2 reapperd again ! and still have 11 !
well untill this morning when i found the tiny one in mollys water bowl! :cry:
checked the small nest as i knew the tiny one was there and just one was in there and now theres 2 ! got me very confussed! lol X

Does she have a nest box? The raised sides stop the babies getting dragged out accidentally if she leaves while they are trying to feed.

If the nests on the floor I would build a frame with 4-6" sides she can easily hop over and put it around the nest and put all babies in the nest.

:? No she dosnt ! She has made a good nest in her shelterd area and thats the one with two in and another in the outside compartment with all the rest in!

will she see to both nests ? is that normal for buns to do that ?
ive moved her waterbowl far away from the nest so this cant happen again!

This is her 3rd litter and never done anything like this before !
X

Shall i move the litter from the outside to the safe inside nest ? will she continu to see to them ! thanks so much for your advice i really appricate this x

Maybe if you get in touch with the BRC they could give you more information on how to set up properly for a nursing female: http://thebrc.org/

She will probably visit both nest, just check if they are getting fed and if those in one nest aren't move them to the other.

Back