• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bed wetting bun... HELP!

Lu_x

Mama Doe
I have never had any problem litter training a bun before. I've successfully litter trained my doe with no problems, she pretty much taught herself and has always been very clean and tidy! But I now have a 9 week old rex buck and he is an absolute poppet but when ever he is out in the house he pee's on my bed- always my partners side :lol:- but obviously this isn;t very desirable! He's fine when in his cage and uses his tray 'most' of the time, he's had a few accidents but that's usually when playing with his toys!

How can I stop him peeing on the bed? At the moment as soon as he does it he gets put back in his cage and in his litter tray!

I know he's young and has to learn but I just don't want my partner to get fed up with the compulsive bed wetting bunny :lol:

24 views and no replies. Maybe I am worrying too much :lol:

He seems to be going backwards on the litter training front, which is worrying! He just pees on any soft materials now, blankets in his cage get soaked, any clothes left on bedroom floor get it and the bed seems to be his main target! Please someone help!!! I am trying desperately to litter train or get him to not bed wet before I go away for 2 days on the 31st and have to leave him with the other half!

Please any replies will be appreciated!

Not sure I'll be much use here but our 11wk old has just managed to sort out where the litter tray is in the hutch (ours are outside bunnies).
Have you tried putting the wee-soaked cloth on the litter tray to help with the association - I swept up the overnight poos in the morning and dabbed up wee and put it in the litter tray each day until she got the idea.
Hope this helps.
:)

Thank you for your reply :wave:

I have been putting any stray poos in to the litter tray and as much as I can dab up of the wee makes it to the litter tray too but he seems insistant on any soft bedding/blankets being the ideal place to wee. He will use his tray sometimes but just not consistently. I've placed the hay rack near to the tray to encourage him to use it but that doesn't always work!

Does the litter tray have hay in it? They like to do their business and eat at the same time - I use the bottom of a pet carrier with kitchen roll at the bottom and hay on the top.

He does have to sit in the litter tray to eat the hay as the hay rack is above it, bit obviously a lot falls in to the tray too.

Sometimes he will pull the hay rack off and just spread hay everywhere though :roll:

Sorry I haven't been much help - it seems like you are doing all the right things - maybe a house bun person will reply.
:wave:

Oh no hun, you've been great! To be honest I just appreciate the reply and reassurance that I'm doing something right :lol:

I just want him to stop using my bed as a litter tray! I'm sure someone holds the answer!

I never thought of litter training my rabbits but I am going to have a go! Can I just ask though as I am a little confused. If I put hay in the litter tray ie the association mentioned earlier of buns doing their business in the hay then am I not going to be encouraging them to mess in their beds too as I use hay for their bedding.
Help I'm confused now!

Generally eating their hay makes their digestive system work continually and this means pooping, so if their hay is positioned by their litter tray they are sitting in the right place to poop etc and this can make litter training easier. You may find that if your bun has hay in the rest of their pen they may poop there too but this by no means that litter training is impossible.

I don't mind my bun pooping his pen as it's not a problem to sweep up but the weeing everywhere is more problematic, especially in my bed :lol:

My experience: :)
Mine have separate hay-filled areas for toilet and sleep and they eat the hay in both places though.
They sleep and eat a bit then go off to their litter tray and poo/wee and eat a bit - lots of eating of hay!!
My two are clean and sorted with their areas - Nibbles (RIP) was also clean in his bed and kept his toilet separate.
You will find occasional poos in the bed but it won't have any wee in it so it stays comfortable and dry.
:)

sorry I'd not seen lunars post when I replied!
My problem is you mention them not wetting on the hay where they sleep, they are doing their business in two distinct places, one where the hay is ie their bedding and the other is the opposite corner of the hutch where there is no hay just sawdust.

Most buns do like to be clean. My doe has never wet any area where she eats or sleeps, and uses the litter tray without fail for wee's. My newest bun, Velcro, doesn't tend to make any mess in his hay but does wee his blankets, but he's still learning. With a bit of persistence and keeping on top of refreshing wet areas and transferring mess in to the tray most buns learn quickly.

Our housebun Charlie would desemate the sette with wee and poo if we ever left the room for 5 mins when he was a bub... it was an old one with a fleece throw fortunately.
I think he was trying to mark his territory though! He'd also poo sometimes on the sette if the other half got up, but never my side! :lol: again i think a territory thing.
Was only resolved when he was neutered and re-litter trained. This may be your best bet. think its the time from about 2-3 months. Charlie was circling our legs and stared spraying when we knew he was ready (plus his wotsits were very present!:shock:).

btw they do like to wee on soft things, we tried vet bed in their cage once but was always soaked! I have also now set up a 'gateway' in our NIC cube cage to stop hay trailing. they have to squeeze in through a bun sized gap which means its also harder to dig the hay very far away from the tray.

My buns are well litter trained but will still pee on soft things of they are left alone, so they aren't allowed on the bed/sofa when we are not there :)

Thank you emjay and louise and gus. I am a bit more reassured that it's not just Velcro being a lone bed wetter! I think it must be a boy and his territory thing, he does only do it on my partners side of the bed and unfortunately he pee'd on my partners leg and ran off yesterday! So perhaps it's a battle to be alpha male :lol: If so I think bunny wins! :lol:

soft surfaces and male buns are a nightmare combination!!! ESPECIALLY duvets!!! I suggest an incontinence sheet, a very very cheap easily washable duvet (the cheaper ones tend to be easier to wash and dry - if not so great for sleeping!) and restricted time on bed until he is 9months and neutered - when it seems to wear off!

Yeah I would agree it is probably a boy thing, and litter training totally will be tricky until he is older and neutered.

I have never had any problem litter training a bun before. I've successfully litter trained my doe with no problems, she pretty much taught herself and has always been very clean and tidy! But I now have a 9 week old rex buck and he is an absolute poppet but when ever he is out in the house he pee's on my bed- always my partners side :lol:- but obviously this isn;t very desirable! He's fine when in his cage and uses his tray 'most' of the time, he's had a few accidents but that's usually when playing with his toys!

How can I stop him peeing on the bed? At the moment as soon as he does it he gets put back in his cage and in his litter tray!

I know he's young and has to learn but I just don't want my partner to get fed up with the compulsive bed wetting bunny :lol:

Until he's neutered you can't rule out hormonal behaviour and will struggle to train him. Unneutered buns are likely to be unreliable with litter training. If you've not had probs in the past then you have been lucky! :D

Back