• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help with floppy

mcv

Young Bun
Hi All,
Can you give me some advice.
Checked on floppy tonight and saw that there was diareah in his run.
Checked his bum and it was dirty, so ive brought him in, washed his bottom and for tonight will be in my hutch in the dining room.
Didnt feel i could put him outside as he is still slightly damp.
I havent fed him anything different since he has been here, which is two weeks now, food, hay and a few carrots.
For a week he has been in his old hutch which has a run attatched but i dont think he has been on grass before.
He is drinking bit not as much as when he first arrived.
Help what do you think has happened and what do i do now???
Claire

If he has eaten a lot of grass and he is not used to it then this might be the cause of his stomach upset. If he's eaten a lot of grass then he doesn't need to drink as much water either as grass is quite watery. Keep him eating some pellets and hay and if he doesn't get better take him to the vet :)

After being in for the night his poos have returned to normal a bit small but solid.
If it could of been the grass should i keep him off the grass or will his digestive system get used to it??
Should i keep him off it for a few days or return him to his hutch??
I worry about this because my other hutch is too small for him really

You should give him small amounts of grass to begin with and then gradually allow him to eat more and more over a period of a couple weeks. If his poos turn runny again then cut down on the grass again :)

Do you have any strawberry plants near you?? If not, go to the shop and pinch a few leaves (actual leaves, not the green bit on top of the fruit) Rabbits love them and its a good herbal treatment for the runs. Only give your bun a few, say two or three and choose the best looking ones, not old or insect chewed ones.

:)

Back