• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not sure where to post this - rabbits + foggers

Arkaidy

Young Bun
Hello people! Long time no see!

I have a question that I'm not sure where to post.

I need to use one of those bug killing foggers in a room of my house. (compost gone wrong, YUCK). The problem is, the rabbit cage is in the same room. It's HUGE an it woul be a pain to move.

Obviously i would remove the rabbits, but if I cover the cage with a huge sheet, would it be okay to leave it in there, or do you think the fogger would penetrate the sheet?

I'll prolly have to move the cage - but just want to get some opinions. I need to do this soon before the flies (like little tiny fruit flies?) get to my buns. They aren't bothering them now, but yeah, obviously I don't want nasty flies in my house.

Thank you!

If it's a permethrin spray/volatile liquid etc then yes it will penetrate the sheet and damage your rabbits lungs most probably and god knows what else, these are are neurotoxins permethrins.

Can you not use a harmless blue light lantern instead??

Is it safe for children to be in the room whilst it's in progress? If not then nope, no rabbits either, even covered with a sheet.

I would fit the windows with fly screen then hang an electronic fly zapper, as mentioned, or even simple sticky fly paper.

Tamsin

No, no, you're misunderstanding :) The rabbits wouldn't be in the cage when I wa fogging. I'd take them out. I was wondering if I need to remove the cage itself, but, the more I think about it, I probably do.

No, no, you're misunderstanding :) The rabbits wouldn't be in the cage when I wa fogging. I'd take them out. I was wondering if I need to remove the cage itself, but, the more I think about it, I probably do.

Oh i see! Sorry :oops: in that case I would still agree with you about removing the cage/hutch as it would probably leave behind some residue when the vapourised spray settles and they could lick it off for example? Probably best to play it safe :)

If it's difficult to move then you could empty it then wash it down afterwards then refill. I would think it would stick to surfaces then they could walk on them and wash their paws etc. so best to play it safe.

Lol, we could prolly do it with my hubby helping. It's a long 2 story NIC cube setup, but I guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do, huh? I just can't stand these nasty flies one mroe day, bleh.

Thanks for the input. :)

Well, it was a lot of work but we fogged the rooms that needed it, all is clean and well. We pretty much moved everything out except for the couches and entertainement center/book shelf which we covered. Then, we cleaned everything afterward (walls/floors, etc.)

Turns out it was good that I moved the cage cause the wall behind it was quite dirty, so that got a good scrub too.

Thanks for all the input.

Back