• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Training A New Bun

Funk

Young Bun
I was wondering if anyone here could give me some advice concerning training for our new outdoor bunny, Cassius.

Cassius came from a pet shop where he was kept in an 18inch by 18inch cage (not sure about the height, but he wasn't able to sit up in it). He has been very good in his hutch and run so far (when he goes out into it), apart from that he seems a bit "unaware" that he can actually leave his hutch whenever he wants. It's as though he still thinks its the cage and he's not aware that he's allowed to come and go as he wants. I'm sure part of it will just be getting used to a change in scene, but he has zero interest in toys and while he doesn't mind being picked up or being petted, all he wants to do it lie in the hutch like he did in the cage. He is not being territorial so far i.e. pushing us away from it/nibbing/grunting when we clean him out/give him new water and food as he has not yet been neutered (he will be though, as he is being houses seperately from our other rabbit, Molly, who has been spayed but obviously I don't want to start the bonding process between them with an entire male) but I was hoping someone could perhaps give some suggestions to try and "break the cycle" as it were of him thinking that he's still confined to the cage and give him a bit of confidence when it comes to being handled.

Thank you for your time!

I was wondering if anyone here could give me some advice concerning training for our new outdoor bunny, Cassius.

Cassius came from a pet shop where he was kept in an 18inch by 18inch cage (not sure about the height, but he wasn't able to sit up in it). He has been very good in his hutch and run so far (when he goes out into it), apart from that he seems a bit "unaware" that he can actually leave his hutch whenever he wants. It's as though he still thinks its the cage and he's not aware that he's allowed to come and go as he wants. I'm sure part of it will just be getting used to a change in scene, but he has zero interest in toys and while he doesn't mind being picked up or being petted, all he wants to do it lie in the hutch like he did in the cage. He is not being territorial so far i.e. pushing us away from it/nibbing/grunting when we clean him out/give him new water and food as he has not yet been neutered (he will be though, as he is being houses seperately from our other rabbit, Molly, who has been spayed but obviously I don't want to start the bonding process between them with an entire male) but I was hoping someone could perhaps give some suggestions to try and "break the cycle" as it were of him thinking that he's still confined to the cage and give him a bit of confidence when it comes to being handled.

Thank you for your time!

He will break his behaviour cycle as and when he is ready to venture out into the wide world, i'm afraid he has become conditioned and just needs time to adjust in his own time and gain in confidence that way. Have you tried putting some nice leaves or little pieces of fruit as a treat out in his run for him? Buns have very good noses and temptation might get the better of him eventually :) I would also suggest putting some tunnels and boxes into his run to give him added security which should lessen the threat of a big empty space.
I'm sure once you bond him Molly this will help him LOADS. When we bonded our new rescue girlie with our existing rescue boy he helped her no end. She's a terribly fearful/nervous girl but he will always wait for her or go back to get her if she doesn't feel confident enough one morning to come out of the hutch :)
I'm so pleased you rescued him from his nightmare cage!!!:D

He will break his behaviour cycle as and when he is ready to venture out into the wide world, i'm afraid he has become conditioned and just needs time to adjust in his own time and gain in confidence that way. Have you tried putting some nice leaves or little pieces of fruit as a treat out in his run for him? Buns have very good noses and temptation might get the better of him eventually :) I would also suggest putting some tunnels and boxes into his run to give him added security which should lessen the threat of a big empty space.
I'm sure once you bond him Molly this will help him LOADS. When we bonded our new rescue girlie with our existing rescue boy he helped her no end. She's a terribly fearful/nervous girl but he will always wait for her or go back to get her if she doesn't feel confident enough one morning to come out of the hutch :)
I'm so pleased you rescued him from his nightmare cage!!!:D

Cassius has a big blanket and a waterproof tarp over one end of his run, plus a little box for him to hide in :) I've been spending time just sitting in the run and letting him come to me if he wants and then rewarding him with a piece of fruit and a pet (he's part lionhead so it's very important that he allows me to groom him). You're right though, I think he has been conditioned to stay in one corner of wherever he sees is home.

I'm really hoping that Molly and Cassius manage to bond. Molly came to us as a stray that we found and adopted, so we know nothing of her history but she's a very laid back bun who has been completely unphased by anything that's come her way since we took her in :) I hope she manages to bring Cassius out of his shell.

Back