• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

a wee query

CDW

Warren Scout
Not sure if I've posted this in the right section...

I got my two baby dwarf lops this morning (eight weeks old). We brought them home and put them in the cage in the room they are going to be living in. We've tried not to disturb them too much, to allow them time to settle in. I've seen them both eating a bit which is great (I think they have drunk a little - we have a bottle attached to the cage and also a bowl inside for now), and they appear to have been moving around. I can see a few tiny droppings - are babies droppings much smaller than adult ones?

But on the couple of occasions when I have come into the room they seem really startled and stay really still. Should I give them a few days to settle in before I try to lift them? We will take them to the vet for a check over and for their first vaccination but was thinking nearer the end of this week - don't want to give them too much stress all at once.

How long will it take before they get used to us being near them? Is it okay if I just sit in the room with them to get them used to me being nearby?

I'd leave them for a few hours to settle in. I suspect it is quite stressful for them and it will take them time to get used to you. Sitting calmly next to them would be a good idea to get them used to you. It really does depend on the bunny as to how long it will take them to get used to you. Wesley was quite a nervous boy when I got him but he comes up to me for cuddles now. Honey wasn't very nervous at and was very confident. Please post piccies when they are settled in :)

It would be a great idea for you to spend time in the room. Freezing is an initial reaction, it means they are a bit nervous and waiting to see what happens. If you sit in the room and nothing bad happens they'll go back to what ever they were doing.

The more time you spend in the room the better. So feel free to read, iron, listen to an Ipod etc.

You can sit as close to the cage as you like, they may take awhile to get used to you but soon you'll just become part of the furniture.

You can also start hand feeding them, open the cage pop you hand in and wait patiently for them to relax and investigate. They'll soon learn you mean food or playtime and be racing to the door when they hear you coming.

Thank you both so much - that's reassured me a wee bit. I've just been sitting here beside them surfing RU and they have been exploring their cage. Will try to get some photos up asap.

Carolinexx

Back