• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bedding query

CDW

Warren Scout
Hi

Hope I've posted this in the right place, and apologies if I'm asking questions already asked by others.

Just wondered if it's okay for a rabbit cage bedding to just be entirely hay. I don't like straw - think it's too harsh, and have heard that wood shavings are not great either to use (causing respiratory problems etc). So is hay best? And should you use litter in a litter tray and then hay over the top, or is just hay in the litter tray fine too?

Thanks

Thanks, is megazorb special litter for rabbits? And can you buy it from most pet shops?

Thank you, will go have a look now. One final question, hope you don't mind, do you clean your litter tray daily and other bedding weekly?

Thank you, will go have a look now. One final question, hope you don't mind, do you clean your litter tray daily and other bedding weekly?

No I don't mind. Yes my two only wee and poop in there litter trays so I clean them out daily and wash the vetbed and bowls, water bottles, etc. weekly.

I use straw and newspaper in my litter trays - same as the rest of the hutch. I was told to use straw because the wee runs off it, onto the newspaper underneath, whereas hay absorbs the moisture meaning they're sitting on damp bedding.

Just a thought. Barley straw is much softer than wheat straw.

Back