• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Meeting for the first time ?

samhor

Warren Scout
I’m thinking of letting my two rabbits meeting for the first time. They have seen each over before, but never met.

I can now only have one run in my garden because of moving and I want to be able to leave them in it together when i'm at work, it isn’t fair one having more time in it than the other.

I know when I do put them in together I will have to supervise them but I am wondering what should I do if they start to fight the first meet?

I know I should break it up etc. but how?
Get a piece of wood in between them, and then take one away
Just grab one and put back in there cage?
Some one even suggested shocking them with a glass of cold water? Which I don't want to do. (Even if it does work)

Also where should I let them meet for the first time? In the run? because they have got separate cages.

Suggestions please!

They will need to meet on neutral territory, somewhere neither bun has been before :) And will need to be kept there under supervision for a few days really or until you are sure they are bonded before you return them to familiar territory. They will both see the garden as their territory so its very unlikely they will not fight if you introduce them there

I wouldn't suggest trying to part them with a bit of wood as you might end up hurting one of them. Some people use a water sprayer. With mine I just stayed close and watched. If it became a proper fight I separated them with my hands but you would need to be very careful doing that. There will be humping and chasing, that is to be expected and you need to let them get on with it to sort out who is going to be the dominant bun, only separating them if things get nasty

This thread has good advice

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=55913&highlight=nonsence

I think if you do a search on bonding there will be lots of threads with good advice

Are your buns boys, girls or one of each? And are they spayed/neutered?

Some rescues do offer to bond for people in exchange for a donation I think, it might be worth seeing if there are any near you if you are not experienced with this or nervous about it

Back