• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bun what's best for her?

tkdkat

Young Bun
Hi

I'm having a mini lop named Ellie on the 18th July, she will be just over 8 weeks old - she will be a house bunny with a nero 3 cage with a 5ft run attached to it. Just wondered what people thought were the best options, I don't want to get it wrong from the word go. I have had a bun but a while ago and there are so many different opinions now.

1. Day 1: Do I let her have access to the run straight away or just leave her in cage. If in cage how long before I allow her access to the run.

2. Do I put the litter tray in the cage or in the run, when she is older I will want the larger litter tray in the run.

3. Bedding, what's best? Just newspaper or fill it with straw/hay (stupid question but what's the difference between straw and hay).

4. When will it be alright to start handling her to get her used to me.

5. What pellets, I have two 4kg bags of Burgess Excel Tasty Nuggets for Junior and Dwarf Rabbits will these be ok as i have heard negative coments about these lately. How much per day should they be given

6. Water bottle or bowl?

7. What type of hay, as I have Excel Herbage Timothy Hay and supa forage excel natural grass will this be ok for a new baby. Can you change their type of Hay wihtout upsetting their stomach's or is that just with pellets.

8. When to start introducing veggies and what type of quantity should they have, now and when older. What about treats are they a definate no - no, if I buy a treat ball what can I put in it?

9. Whats the best toys for them.

10. Do they need jabs before they go outside in a playpen, how long should I allow her outside to start with.

Have I missed out anything important..

Thanks in advance

Will try & answer,if I can remember all the questions!!:lol:
Ok,1stly people say once bun comes home put in their cage/hutch & just talk softly through cage for a few days before handling-i dont agree with that.All our buns have been handled straight away.B ran around for 8 hours solid the day we got her home but shes a french lop & not alot seems to phase them!:lol:
My last 3buns have been on excel always-they only have enough to eat in 30 mins so doesn't cause sticky bum.I also put a little in a treat ball for them if they get bored later in the day.You need to give baby buns adlib food until approx 12 months old then gradually wean down until they only get a token of pellets a day.You can start introducing veg at about 2-3 months gradually so as not to upset tummys.My 2 have enough veg in the evening to last them 4 hours.I dont go on amount of food always time,but thats just me,cos some days they are more hungry than others.They get 2 big handfuls of hay morning & evening-any hay,cheap or expensive,doesn't matter as long as its fairly green.Babies can have alfalfa but rabbits a year old & above shouldn't have it as is high in calcium unless they are on no pellets at all.
Mine have a litter tray in their cage with wood pellet litter & straw or hay in rest of cage.They dont have a run just a bunny proofed room so their cage door is always open in day but they are now shut away at night as they are fairly noisy:lol:& I think it helps keep my 2bonding well[they only been together 3months].
My buns have a bottle & bowl but seem to prefer the bowl.
Get your buns jabbed & neutured as soon as old enough.Recommend insurance too.
They like toys they can pick up & throw wire balls,toilet inners keys etc.Wood treats for gnawing are also a good idea.
We give our buns on a nightly basis[as a bonding session for us & them]treats.Makesure they dont contain sugar-naturals collection carrotys go down a treat with ours.
Hope that has helped.:D

Last edited:
Back