• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Intrasite?

funnyface1

Young Bun
Hi,

I was just wondering if anybody had any advice on packing abscesses, I have trawled through all the different threads looking for the best way and i am still not sure. Information overload I think!!

I had a previous thread on here about my bun Funnyface. He had an op 2 weeks ago to remove an abscess from his cheek. It hadnt started from a tooth root and didnt go into the jaw the vet thinks it has developed from a molar spur rubbing on the cheek. Anyway 1.5 weeks later it has come back not surprising really as he couldnt go in far enough to get it all out without making a hole all the way into his mouth. He also on Duphapen every other day. The vet did not do a culture sample because he said he found Duphapen very effective and has found it very hard to get a sterile result and when he has the drug for the particular strain is never really suitable? Is this correct?

I have been told to syringe the hole with salt water and pack with intrasite twice daily, is this the best thing I can be doing? He also said not to leave wound open and I will have to pick off the scab all the time to syringe.

Any advice would be really helpful. I just want to do my upmost best to get rid of this horrid thing.

I use intrasite on wounds for all animals. This is since my horse got a very deep kick wound on his head last year. Washing with salt water and packing with a hydrogel (intrasite) is what helped it heal while preventing infection. The sooner you do this, the less likelihood there is of infection.

This is now the accepted best method for wound management (superficial) as it allows the wound to breathe while preventing infection.

Intrasite is my top must have in my first aid box at the stables anyway.

Thanks Carrie, not sure if its the best though for abscesses, i just wonder if there is anything else I should be put in the wound such as antibiotics.

Thanks Carrie, not sure if its the best though for abscesses, i just wonder if there is anything else I should be put in the wound such as antibiotics.

Doxyrobe would have been very useful, but it's not being made anymore. A dentist might be able to tell you an alternative.
You can use a carrier gel (eg intrasite) and flush with metronidazole 2x daily.
Has he mentioned marsupialising the wound?
Pus can't form in the absence of moisture, that might be worth discussing with Guy.

will a mixture of salt and water do the same? Thats what was recommended. Should I just carry on as instructed and review next week when I go back? and ask for metronidazole?

Back