• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Curious Incident of the Guinea Pig in the Day Time

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
Okay, you need to be sitting comfortably and concentrating for this.

First of all, meet Hyacinth. Rescue piggy.

Picture531-1.jpg

You may have noticed she's a bit on the plump side. That was last night. Mid-morning two mini-pigs have arrived:

Meet Milkweed.

Picture539.jpg

and now meet Blackberry.

Picture538-1.jpg

Everyone with me so far? Good. (Those of you still saying "squeeee" :love: need to re-focus)

Now meet Hyacinth's companion:

Picture532.jpg

And here's the whole group together.... with a few extra close-ups thrown in so you can see the various likenesses, including the crested hair-do all four share....

Picture535-1.jpg

Picture536-1.jpg

Picture543.jpg

Picture542-2.jpg

Picture540-1.jpg

Picture534-1.jpg

Okay. Seems pretty straightforward - except that some of you may be wondering why on earth I'm letting dad run around with mum and babies....yes? Well.....here's the shocking part....

*drum roll* the black and white adult is a GIRL. I have only owned Hyacinth for about five/six weeks. Before that she was kept in a darkened garage with a silver agouti male (hence she was taken into rescue) - and HE is the father!!! So my question is, how on earth has she managed to produce a baby that looks like her five year old FEMALE companion?!!! :shock: Answers gratefully received...I'm off for a quiet lie-down in a darkened room...

*creeps off to gaze at baby guineas...* :oops:

WOW! what a mystery! they are reaeeeeeeelly pretty btw

are the two girly pigs sisters? in which case mum might have some genes in common with her black and white sister that came out in the babies (all that dominant/recessive traits thing you learn at GCSE?!). But still, you'd think they would look somewhat like the dad ay?

oh, and squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! :love::love: (i managed to hold off til the end :oops:)

Perhaps the silver agouti male is the son of the 5 year old black and white female? :shock: or, there is a brother of the B/W sow that you don't know about? or the B/W sow had a sex change :D

You should post this on TGPF, they would be very interested :lol:

are you sure only 1 girl was pregnant, if the sow was only expecting 1 baby you may not of been able to tell she was pregnant:D:D:D:D

Perhaps the silver agouti male is the son of the 5 year old black and white female? :shock: or, there is a brother of the B/W sow that you don't know about? or the B/W sow had a sex change :D

You should post this on TGPF, they would be very interested :lol:

The two adults are completely unrelated and the silver agouti male has never been at my house/met the black/white one, who I've owned for years...:shock: I'm totally mystified...

Feels like I'm living in the plot of one of the more sensational soap operas...

Last edited:
WOW! what a mystery! they are reaeeeeeeelly pretty btw

are the two girly pigs sisters? in which case mum might have some genes in common with her black and white sister that came out in the babies (all that dominant/recessive traits thing you learn at GCSE?!). But still, you'd think they would look somewhat like the dad ay?

oh, and squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! :love::love: (i managed to hold off til the end :oops:)

No, the two girls aren't sisters but well done for holding off on the squee! :lol::lol::lol:

are you sure only 1 girl was pregnant, if the sow was only expecting 1 baby you may not of been able to tell she was pregnant:D:D:D:D

Yes, only one girl was pregnant, though that's a good theory! But Hyacinth was clearly carrying one baby either side, and other girlie clearly not at all pregnant. And she wouldn't have survived giving birth for the first time age five, presumably...so it's a mystery!

I don't see any reason why the father shouldn't have recessive black/white pattern genes, as Vikkivet said. I know I have features that I don't share with either parent.

They are very cute though :)

I don't see any reason why the father shouldn't have recessive black/white pattern genes, as Vikkivet said. I know I have features that I don't share with either parent.

They are very cute though :)

I guess one of the parents must have recessive black/white genes; you're right, they must have come from somewhere. It's just such a weird coincidence that the mother was living with a totally unrelated black/white female pig who resembes Blackberry (baby 2) so closely... :?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Gorgeous baby piggies though!!!:love::love::love:

A message from both piggies:

Fank you to everyone who's said we is gorgeous. We finks we is too. We was a bit of a surprise but we is running round in the sunshine near our mummy and we is eatings grass. We likes doing that.

Back