• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What size run for 3 rabbits?

It would probably be adequate, personally I think they need a bit more width than 4ft so that they can jump around easier, but the overall space is good.

I definitely think it's a good enough size, but if you could squeeze an 8x6 that would probably be even better :)

I think the larger the better, would say 8ftx8ft minimum myself.
No formula for that, just personal preference.

I'm in the process of adopting a pair of Lionheads from a rescue centre, and for the pair I've been told a minimum of 10 x 6ft is expected if that helps.

http://www.rabbitresidence.org.uk/

She's told me the above sized run, and a 6x2x2ft hutch for the pair. I'm fairly new to all this (not kept a rabbit rabbit in 7 or 8 years, and was blissfully ignorant back then) but I'm well aware that the advice and minimum sizes given by pet shops etc aren't always accurate. So if thats the size she expects I'm more than happy to go along with that.

The only issue is finding a run that big...I'm going to have to build it (or pay an extortionate amount.)

Just thought I'd add that I've just bought the materials I need for the 10x6x2ft run. The total for the materials (38m of treated 2x1" timber, 1" square hole sized 16 gauge mesh - 13.5 m2 total, pet safe varnish) comes to £77.00. I'll probably have to spend another £10 on miscellaneous bits and bob's for it - such as eyes for the lid, tent pegs to secure it and maybe another few quid for a groundsheet to provide shade, but considering a 7x4ft run is £150 from happy hutch (fairly typical pricing from what I've seen) I'd say its the way ahead.

Labours going to consist of sanding and smoothing, treating with pet safe varnish, screwing the various bits together then stapling (or more likely nailing) the mesh into place. Total time probably 2 or 3 hours as I'm a DIY novice.

Sounds fab! I am going to make a run for my guinea pigs and am sooo excited!
10ftx6ft for 2 bunnies is a fantastic size run, it's lovely to hear rescues requiring that as it is hard to find!
I agree, the best way to find a run that big is to build it! (Well not really finding as such :lol:)

I am extremely impressed with the rescue requiring that!

It's pretty easy for a rescue to demand larger sizes but the more they demand the fewer potential homes there are out there and the fewer they can help as a result. Of course everyone should be encouraged to provide as much space as possible, but it is something they have to balance otherwise they will end up not rehoming any.

I have a 5ftx5ft run for my two girls, and they are fine with this. It was £70 so dread to think what a larger size would be. I don't think rescues should expect such large runs. If a rescue had made me get a larger run, I'd have most likely gone to a breeder instead.

http://www.rabbitresidence.org.uk/

She's told me the above sized run, and a 6x2x2ft hutch for the pair. I'm fairly new to all this (not kept a rabbit rabbit in 7 or 8 years, and was blissfully ignorant back then) but I'm well aware that the advice and minimum sizes given by pet shops etc aren't always accurate. So if thats the size she expects I'm more than happy to go along with that.

The only issue is finding a run that big...I'm going to have to build it (or pay an extortionate amount.)

:lol: I was going to say that must be Caroline :) she runs a great rescue :D

It's pretty easy for a rescue to demand larger sizes but the more they demand the fewer potential homes there are out there and the fewer they can help as a result. Of course everyone should be encouraged to provide as much space as possible, but it is something they have to balance otherwise they will end up not rehoming any.

This is why I am impressed, that they have the welfare of the animal at heart, rather than accepting a smaller run, which the bunnies would not have as much of a quality of life.

Anyone who goes and see's how the rabbits there live wouldn't want to put them in anything less :D

I have my trio in an 8x8, but sometimes I put them into the 8x4 when I want them to mow a part of the lawn that the 8x8 won't fit into:lol:. They seem equally happy in both as I don't see any difference in their level of activity, when they are in the smaller one.It is also much easier to move an 8x4 folding run singlehandedly than a bigger one. I've a fairly big garden and ideally would love to give them even more space but it just isn't practical.

Back