• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone have any idea why my bunny does this??

yoshi&gizmo

Alpha Buck
Not sure if anyone has come across this before but one of my rabbits has taken to moving my gravel pebbles around :? I have no idea why he is doing it i stood watching him today. He stands there picking the pebbles up in his mouth and then some he kind of throws with a flick of the head and others he places to the side of him.... :?:?:? I thought at first maybe he could see a plant growing through that he liked the look of but when i looked there is nothing there :?

He then stops moves to another part of the gravel and does the same thing. After a while of doing this he goes and lays down in the shade or back in his hutch and chills out. :roll:

Does anyone have any idea what he is doing this for???

I dunno, maybe playing, or just wants to arrange them a certain way but be very careful he's not eating them xx

Yeah sounds like he's just playing with the pebbles in a way, but there's probably a bit of natural behaviour mixed in with it. In the wild buns will arrange their environment as they please, actually domestic ones too! and they will chew through tree roots and move stones around etc it's all pretty natural if a little on the odd side :D Does he have many tactile objects of his own in his hutch to play with that you might feel happier with him playing with? If he's a 'picker-up and mover' he might enjoy something like baby teething ring/rattle object or small seagrass/wooden throw toys that he can pick up and move around instead of pebbles? The Hayexperts online and pamperedpiggies have some great toys of all shapes and sizes, often it's just a question of finding which sort of behaviour your particular bun likes....nudge, throw, chew etc..sounds like you have a thrower! Perhaps a few weatherproof toys placed around the area he picks up the pebbles might redirect his attentions?

:wave: Thanks for the replys. Well that does make sence now as answering your question he does have loads of toys which he likes to move around. One looks like a dumb bell weight and he also has a ball with s bell in which he throws around outside and grass mats and a treat ball which he loves pushing around and throwing about :lol:

Just never thought pebbles would be so amuzing to him. Another querky thing he does is dig on our bed and then smooth out all the crinkles. He enjoys this past time so much now that if the bedroom door is shut he thumps untill one of us comes up and lets him in..... :D But the wierd bit with this antic is 1. he is male [only thought females dig] and 2. he only will do it if we stay and watch if we leave he lays on the floor. :shock:

What a character i have got in my Yoshi :lol::lol:

My buns do that with anything they can! Their toys, they try with shoes, if i leave a bottle on the floor...anything!lol. One has a habbit of putting a certain toy in her food bowl, not sure if she thinks shell get more food that way...But as another post said, aslong as shes not eating them dont worry!

Back