• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch Sizes (split from focus campaign)

If it hadn't been for Focus's 4ft hutches we wouldn't have been able to have so many rescues in, they even gave us a discount for bulk buying. We've had the hutches for over two years/winters and they stood the test of time with us. We upgraded to larger hutches as and when we could afford it, but we still have some of the Focus ones for emergency incomers.

If it hadn't been for Focus's 4ft hutches we wouldn't have been able to have so many rescues in, they even gave us a discount for bulk buying. We've had the hutches for over two years/winters and they stood the test of time with us. We upgraded to larger hutches as and when we could afford it, but we still have some of the Focus ones for emergency incomers.

I'm slightly lost for words on that one. Thats like saying I don't have big enough crates for german shepherds, but because there are some in need of rescue I'll shove them into small crates and thats ok :shock:

Well it depends where the rabbits come from. If they were in urgent need of rescuing, ie in disgusting unsanitary conditions then temporary hutches which are secure and clean would be fine as a temporary measure, even if they aren't big enough for a permanent home.

I understand that in an emergency someone may have some old donated 4ft hutches kept to one side, but to bulk buy them from a chain like that to me is madness. I would rather have spent to money to buy one or two proper sized hutches and been able to care for the rabbits properly, not cramping them up.

People say it's only temporary but we all know some rabbits can stay in care for months and those hutches are totally unsuitable to be used by rabbits.

I also think it sets a really bad example to the public who see a rescue using them.

I want to stress that these bunnies are far from cramped!! All of these hutches have adjoining runs which the buns have access to 24/7. they also get onto huge grass runs every day as well and to say that bunnyhugger is setting a bad example to me is very offensive to the fantastic work they do at CARROT and quite frankly totally incorrect.
Just out of interest do the RSPCA have all of their bunnies in hutches with adjoining runs 24/7?

I understand that in an emergency someone may have some old donated 4ft hutches kept to one side, but to bulk buy them from a chain like that to me is madness. I would rather have spent to money to buy one or two proper sized hutches and been able to care for the rabbits properly, not cramping them up.

People say it's only temporary but we all know some rabbits can stay in care for months and those hutches are totally unsuitable to be used by rabbits.

I also think it sets a really bad example to the public who see a rescue using them.

You know i totally agree Lucy. This is exactly what we were talking about on the phone the other day. How can a rescue say to someone... right you need to have a 6ft x 2ft hutch, and then use 4ft hutches themselves!! Its totally beyond me.

Im sure someone decent would give discount if you bought in bulk from them :?

I honestly cant comment. Im so shocked :( Lets hope no giants came in :roll:

You know i totally agree Lucy. This is exactly what we were talking about on the phone the other day. How can a rescue say to someone... right you need to have a 6ft x 2ft hutch, and then use 4ft hutches themselves!! Its totally beyond me.

Im sure someone decent would give discount if you bought in bulk from them :?

I honestly cant comment. Im so shocked :( Lets hope no giants came in :roll:

Do not comment on something you know nothing about. They have giants at carrot and they are in a huge enclosure. So you are telling me although all these buns have attached runs thats no use? And that its better to keep a rabbit in a 6"2"2 without an attached run?? Rubbish
Before you pass judgement on someone get the facts right.

Now you clearly have no idea what you are talking about, did you watch the clip or just judge first!!! :censored:

So lets get this clear what you are saying is we should have bought a couple of big hutches and taken a couple in, now that comment is so naive, i help out at CC i am actually here right now! I have seen the bunnies we get in, are you saying we should have turned them away as we did not have "big" enough hutches!!! They have runs attached and we rarely use them anymore, they also got out onto the grass during the day, so clearly we should have left them in the conditions they were in till we saved enough money but by then hey they could of died or been let go into the wild.

We have always done what is best for our bunnies, they get the best care! We have got new hutches for them all and we have wendy houses and greenhouses!

We have saved more bunnies than you can imagine, gone through so much heart ache along the way, we have given so many a better life. So how dare you judge us for doing good!!:censored:

In my opinion you should go crawl back under the rock you came from!!!

Also they may have been 4ft hutches but we had a 4ftx4ft covered runs so they had access to them at all times, so 6ftx4ft isn't enough, stupid cow!!:censored:

Sharing your opinion is not the same as attacking another member. Please think carefully about what you say and how you say it!

Would you rather they were put to sleep than live in a 4ft hutch for a while?

Would you rather they were put to sleep than live in a 4ft hutch for a while?

You could say that for any animal we can't take into rescue straight away that goes on a list. We don't know what will happen to them but we can't be responsible for everyones rabbits once they decide they are unwanted.

My opinion is that a rescue should build up slowly using the correct equipment rather than starting off with lots of the wrong sized hutches, especially if they are purchased for that purpose, thats the shocking bit.

As for the other rude comments, you can go whistle in the wind as I won't respond to people that can't hold a reasoned debate without turning to name calling.

Also they may have been 4ft hutches but we had a 4ftx4ft covered runs so they had access to them at all times, so 6ftx4ft isn't enough, stupid cow!!:censored:

Who are you talking to?? Theres no need for name calling! Post reported!

And for all the other nasty comments, i guess youve never seen pictures of my set up before - and yes i do foster for the rspca. I can assure you they can periscope in all the cages, they can also do 4+ hops in them, they also have runs which are 6x4, so please, before you comment, think what you are saying!! Why would we be writing letters to focus about their hutches if we didnt have 6ft hutches ourselves :?

Why comment on this thread in the first place when you can see the title is 'RU campaign needed against focus' and then theyre like 6 pages of people who agree with 4ft hutches being too small :? Im sorry but never in this world would i keep any of my rabbits in a 4ft hutch with attached 4ft run :roll:

Last edited:
My question still hasnt been answered :? I asked politely are all the RSPCA's bunnies in 6"2"2 hutches with adjoined runs? NOT fosterers. I mean at the centre. After all that is a rescue. Seeing as we are comparing to dogs - As for the dogs they are in kennels are they not? Is that telling people that all dogs should be kept in kennels? If rescues are to "lead by example" surely all the dogs in the care of the RSPCA should live in houses with gardens each and get long walks each day etc? After all - they are a rescue. answer - NO in an ideal world yes that would be great but in the REAL world it wont happen.
So basically a bunny is kept in a small 3 foot hutch - filthy neglected and uncared for - instead of CARROT taking on this bunny and giving it vet attention, love, care and god forbid a 4 foot hutch with 24/7 run access plus time in a large run on the grass they should be ashamed of themselves?
The fact that you foster animals for the RSPCA does not make you an expert on how to run a rescue, nor does it give you the right to patronise a rescue that has been running for a long time with their own money and does a world of wonders for all the bunnies in its care.
You should be ashamed of yourself.

Back