• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets At Home

HOLLYWOO

New Kit
hello everyone, i am new to this site just joined today. i wondered if anyone has had a similar experience and what they thought - my nephew had a bunnie for his birthday on the 15/04 this year. this morning he found the rabbit had died in the night, he has been looking after her really well, she has had all her jabs and had her last vet check 10 days ago and everything was fine. i thought maybe the bunny was week through interbreeding? i phoned pets a t home which is where she was purchased and was quite insensed when they told me that my nephew would have to bring the deceased rabbit into the store for a refund or replacement! apart from the fact that my nephew was in the process of buring his beloved pet (and having a bit of a funeral service with his brother and sister) i think it would be outrageous to cart a dead rabbit 30 miles for a postmortum!! what do you think??

Hi there

If you do want to find out what the bunny died of then a postmortum would be the way to go.

IMO the probable cause of death was probably stasis, where the bunny has stopped eating (from teeth problems, stress, incorrect diet etc), if it goes unnoticed a bunny can easily die over night, I nearly lost my bunny for the second time last week.

P.S Ah sorry have re-read your post, I would steer away from P&H and get a couple of rescue bonded bunnies, also read up on here about diet and health and the RWAF have so useful leaflets too, it is also REALLY important to find a rabbit savvy vet.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/index.php?section=leaflets.html

What was the rabbit given to eat?

Last edited:
I realy do feel sorry for your nephews bunny. Was it a baby or a rescue one. I agree that it could have being GI statis. Years ago i had a bunny that i had only for a few weeks and it died over night as well. I personaly wouldnt want to take the bunny back to the store as it would be to traumatic for your nephew i would take a photo like suggested. Your nephew seems to have done everthing right by the bun by vacs etc. but if it is a young bun things can go wrong very quickly.

jane x

Whilst I understand how upsetting it can be, I don't think they can give refunds to everyone who phones up and says the bunny died or everyone would be doing it just to get their money back :?

Personally I would get the PM done, if it is genetics, then P@H need to sort it out.
Or you could ask Pets@Home to pay for you to have one done so it isn't bias?
Sorry for his loss. It's so upsetting, however a multitude of problems could have caused his death, e.g. EC, fits etc.

Back