• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Really upset

nursecroft

Wise Old Thumper
Hiya everyone

Well saffy got under the fence today into the half of the garden i have tinkerbell and dreamer, I was of course in the garden but didnt have my eye on them for a couple of minutes and next thing turn round to she she'd gone for my little tinkerbell because shes not quick enough to run away :(

I jumped the fence and grabbed saffy, there was fur everywhere. Saffy is unmarked but poor tinks has a little bite on her back that is very superficial thankgod, i had to dig her out of the bush she was so scared. Tinks would bond with any bunny shes so laid back and im cross i didnt prevent her getting attacked, she seems none the worse and is bouncing round again.
They are next to eachother 24/7 and i was really hoping one day i could attempt to bond them but not sure id have the nerve especially after saffy's horrible behaviour today, im so down about it all. :(

I wouldn't worry about it, Autumn used to wind sophie up something chronic when it was her turn in the garden. They also accidentally met when Autumn was in the house after her spay. today they are best friends (well living together without problems) and sophie follows autumn like a little girl (cos she is! Its nearly her 1st birthday)

I wouldn't judge based on an encounter like that. Bonding is done on neutral territory for a reason :) Most bondings would result in an attack if you just introduced a new rabbit to an enclosure.

Keep an eye on the wound, my Beau had a tiny little bite from another bun, but he kept licking and chewing it and now it's huge and sore :?

Ive checked the little wound this morning and its fine, i cleaned it and popped some opsite spray over that we use for humans, it forms a layer over the wound to protect it and keep it clean, wounds are at least something im an expert at!!

Its just when i moved the buns into there new home saffy was a madam through the bars at tinks and dreamer even though she wasnt on her own territory and it was all new (however thinking about it they did have there toys in there)..... i think if im going to attempt to bond them i'll have to put all there toys away and vinegar the hutch and garage plus probably with bath them all.

I had a think last night and a chat to my otherhalf and am have put aside a weekend 6th of June and I'm going to seriously have a go at bonding them. He's going on a stag weekend so i can just focus on them. At least then i will know either way, if it doesnt work obviously they can stay in their pairs but id give everything to bond all four and i have enough room to keep them as a four comfortably.... well they have the whole garage!! When they're outside they often graze all four together either side of the fence or lay right next to eachother by the fence.

Do i bond all four in one go or try two of the opposite pairs at a time? I'm going to read as much as i can to try and make this as stress free as possible for them.

Hiya:wave:,when bonding a 4,do the 4 as one group.Wishing you all the best x

Yup - & on neutral & give them a bit of time to forget this incident:D

I was lugging bin bags through my gate the other day & there were only 2 buns I had to watch & one belted past me:shock: :roll: I swear they wait until your back is turned:lol:

oh thanks guys, ok well ive set aside a weekend in 2 weeks like i said so going to let things settle for now and then try, this is my first time trying to bond four and to be honest been putting it off trying to build up the nerve to do it!! Its saffy that is my biggest problem, i think i may make a temp pen in the conservatory or kitchen... do you think if i throroughly clean the garage i could make a smaller pen in there? Just worried even though it smells clean they know it too well.

Ive checked the little wound this morning and its fine, i cleaned it and popped some opsite spray over that we use for humans, it forms a layer over the wound to protect it and keep it clean, wounds are at least something im an expert at!!

Its just when i moved the buns into there new home saffy was a madam through the bars at tinks and dreamer even though she wasnt on her own territory and it was all new (however thinking about it they did have there toys in there)..... i think if im going to attempt to bond them i'll have to put all there toys away and vinegar the hutch and garage plus probably with bath them all.

I had a think last night and a chat to my otherhalf and am have put aside a weekend 6th of June and I'm going to seriously have a go at bonding them. He's going on a stag weekend so i can just focus on them. At least then i will know either way, if it doesnt work obviously they can stay in their pairs but id give everything to bond all four and i have enough room to keep them as a four comfortably.... well they have the whole garage!! When they're outside they often graze all four together either side of the fence or lay right next to eachother by the fence.

Do i bond all four in one go or try two of the opposite pairs at a time? I'm going to read as much as i can to try and make this as stress free as possible for them.

I don't think you need to give them a bath. I read somewhere that you can rub something smelly (an essential oil of some sort) just above their nose when bonding which could help- I will try to find it.

Have they been in the conservatory/kitchen before? You could vinegar one of those areas, put the pen in there and bond them in there. If it is the most unfamiliar area for them it might be easier? Of course you'll need to vinegar the garage before you put them back.

Good luck hun! I did my first bonding recently-and although it was an easy bond (a mother and son who had been apart for a few weeks) I was soo nervous! I would love to have a group of 4 :)

Well they have hopped in the conservatory a couple of times to explore when ive had the door open, never been in the kitchen. I will vinegar everything but like you said thought the more unfamilar the better. I thought it would be better to bath them if its a nice day and they are going to be indoors anyway, give them something to think about when i first put them together, the less they smell the better! I need every bit of help i can get.

I have bonded both my pairs, dreamer and tinks were sooooo easy it was love at first sight for them. Saffy and Joey were good however they did have one fight when saffy was hormonal and had to be seperated but so they could still see and sniff eachother for 2 weeks until her hormones calmed post spay. Seems so easy compared to the thought of bonding four, its just controlling them all if it starts to kick off, im just going to have to watch every move.

As we speak im sat in the conservatory and tinks is now acting very terriorial to saffy now that the bars are between them! :roll: Im going to need a few drinks to calm my nerves in 2 weeks!!!! :shock::lol:

Back