• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New found bunny hasn't pooped in a while.

So, I was walking back with my friends from the pizza place back home and we saw a black bunny in the yard. Since I've never seen a black bunny in the wild I figured it had to be someone's pet. I approached it, and sure enough it didn't want to be caught, but it was fine with me standing right next to it.

Our next door neighbor said it belonged to the people two houses down. They got it for the 11 year old girl right before Easter and they decided two weeks ago to set the domesticated bunny free. I managed to capture her, all the while imagining all the horrible things the dogs nearby would do to the poor thing. We asked the "owners" if they wanted it in case it wasn't really let go and it didn't just get away. Needless to say, they let us keep it.

Well, I've had her for about a good 6 hours or so, and she peed a little bit, but I haven't found any poo. She eats a little bit. When I found her outside she was hoovering up grass like crazy. Is it just because she's nervous and I should wait until the next morning to panic? She ate a treat I gave her, along with a few pellets and a bit of hay. I'm so used to Bandit, who eats everything in sight.

We don't know if we are keeping her. We don't have much for money right now, and chances are she's pregnant from an outside bunny. She was out for two weeks.

I expect that she is rather stressed at the moment so just leave her in a quite hutch/cage with plenty of hay and water. She will probably poo when she has calmed down.

I would pop her along to a Vet tomorrow (to allow her time to de-stress today) so as she can be checked over and you can discuss what you want to do re any possible pregnancy.
Of course if she has not poo'd by this afternoon or if you feel she is unwell in any way do get her to the Vet today.

Well done for helping her.

it could be fate that brings you and this bunny together. Spend a few weeks w/ this little guy, see how the 2 of you get along

Well, I'll be calling the vet soon to get Bandit's neutering underway and ask if they'll do a quick check up on her. I'm hoping they can get them in today.

I'm still very new to buns and it worries me when even something little doesn't seems right. I'm dreading there is something wrong with her, I just don't have much money right now. Bandit has always been such a healthy, well behaved bun that I've never has a sick bunny, or one that thumped at me before...

Last edited:
Whoo! She pooped! And lots of it. I moved her to another room since I had her in the bathroom and I needed to take a shower. Maybe she didn't like the bathroom much. All of her poos are very dark, and look all small and wrinkly like raisins. I'm hoping once she gets a proper diet she'll poo normally. She's still going into the vet for a checkup in about an hour. I want to make sure she has a clean bill of health, and to see if they can figure out if she might be pregnant already.

Well done for saving her! People wind me up so much when they do daft things like that wrt letting her go and buying her in the first place on a whim. Why didn't they at least take her somewhere safe?

We're back from the vet and she's a perfectly healthy nice bunny. We've decided we are keeping her and we will be calling the vets back soon to see when we can get her spayed. She's probably quite young. The vet said she isn't pregnant now, and might never be since she assured us that many times crosses with wild rabbits doesn't work. We want to spay her quickly to prevent one. Bandit's neutering can wait a little longer I think.

We don't know of any names right now. We've also got a friend who has an old cage that will work for now that we can pick up on the weekend. She'll live in the bathroom until we get it.

Back