• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fibreflex

Is the general consensus (sp?!) that pro-biotics are a good thing.

I spoke to a vet recently who's views are that they are a waste of time and just 'fashionable' (his words).

I've always used them when my rabbits are ill and especially after Honey has her VHD jab as she usually stops eating and I find it helps.

I always keep a tube in for my rabbit and guineas as well as sachets of bio lapis pro biotic. They are especially useful when they are on antibiotics :wave:

Last edited:
I only use them if the Rabbit is on Depocillin or any abx with a high risk of gut dysbiosis or if he/she has an obvious GI disturbance.

Do you mind if I ask why not? I am in no way contradicting you, just trying to learn as I have a bad habit of comparing rabbits digestive systems to guineas (which I am quite experienced in but new to buns) :) pro biotics can't do any harm can they and may do some good??

Yes keep them in the house primarily because it's cheaper than buying it from the vet. You shouldn't use it without consulting your vet though.

I only use them if the Rabbit is on Depocillin or any abx with a high risk of gut dysbiosis or if he/she has an obvious GI disturbance.

So in that case are you simply using it for the extra fibre? Would you use it if the Rabbit clearly had an irritated gut/bladder?

xxx

So in that case are you simply using it for the extra fibre? Would you use it if the Rabbit clearly had an irritated gut/bladder?

xxx

I use them (probiotics in general, not just Fibreplex) in cases of GI disturbance-ie GI stasis, Diarrhoea etc
Basically they are just supportive and so wont do any harm if you choose to use them for anyBun who was in anyway unwell.

I use them (probiotics in general, not just Fibreplex) in cases of GI disturbance-ie GI stasis, Diarrhoea etc
Basically they are just supportive and so wont do any harm if you choose to use them for anyBun who was in anyway unwell.

Thank you :)

What products would you recommend? x

Thank you :)

What products would you recommend? x

If the Bun is a poor hay eater then Fibreplex.
I'd also use Fibreplex in cases of Diarrhoea or for a Bun on a 'high risk' abx

Some Buns wont eat Fibreplex and they find having it syringed into them very stressful. So even though they do not have the added fibre water soluable probiotics are useful- Bio Lapis or Avipro Plus

xx

Back