• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How often do you clean your rabbit's ears ?

Martine

Alpha Buck
:wave: all is in the title, mainly for lop rabbits as they easily accumulate stuff they cannot clean which can lead to otitis.. Chloe has recurrent problems so my vet prescribed some drops to dissolve the cerumen, and I have to do it twice a week, as I have her ears checked and cleaned deeply when she is put to sleep for her dental...

Warning on this !!! the vet has to show you in which hole you have to put the drops and massage the base of the ear ! because they are 2 holes in a rabbit's ear(front and back) as you can see and in the beginning I was dropping in the wrong one :lol:

I do not routinely clean my Rabbit's ears unless they have an ongoing problem
I believe that putting cleaning potions into the ear on a regular basis just stimulates more wax production.
I check the ears regularly (with an otoscope) and only clean them if there is a problem.

The only two Rabbit's I have here whose ears I do routinely clean are Bernie, who has a chronic Otitis and Harry who is a hind leg amputee

:)

thank you Jane Chloé has a tendancy to have some pus in her ears for which she was treated and this is why he told me to clean them twice a week, and she really hates it poor thing !!

My very first bridge bun, Big Fat Bunny, has huge amt. of ear wax. The very first time I clean her, it took 40 to 50 cotton swabs and there are so much grease/dirt inside.

My subsequent buns only has a small amt. of dirt. I don't think it's comfy for them to live w/ those dirt inside, and I also have a digital otoscope that I can view the dirt. So they keep scratching the outside of their ear, I know it's time to check for grease.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=134521

Jane had mentioned to me a couple of days ago that she just uses olive oil to clean out their ears, instead of a saline. I, too, have a lop bunny who gets a lot of waxy build-up in his ears, but I was only instructed to do it once every other week.

Er.. never. Mine are all clean. THough in the summer when they're hot I put my hand in water and then rub their ears with my wet hands to cool them off.. but that the outside of their ears.. I guess you guys are talking about the inside?

I have had two buns with infections in their ears and was told to clean out their ears twice a week.I agree with Jane that this just caused more wax production.has you vet taken a culture to see which bacteria you are dealing with?

Pearl does it for Alvin.. and he also does her ears for her too....

i go nowhere near em :lol::lol:

I used to clean Will's ears weekly with warm olive oil as she was a french lop with huge ears but over the years I stopped as she didn't like it & she never had any problems.All my other buns have been lops & ive never had to clean their ears & they have never had any problems[touch wood] though I do usually once a day check inside the ears & have a good sniff as ive heard they smell bad if there's a problem.

Thank you to all :wave:

yes, she had a culture and was treated as it was the same bacteria as her nose "brevundimonas diminuta" (pseudomonas family)... but the vet told me to continue to clean twice a week next time I go for her dental mid-may I'll ask him because the poor girl is fed up with it...

Last edited:
Back