• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help please - Sore claws?

Phoebesmummy9

Warren Veteran
As some of you know, Ive just had a big run built in the garden for the rabbits. Theyve went from being on grass to big slabs. I went out yesterday and the stones were COVERED in blood :shock: All of Phoebes claws were bleeding, hes managed to wear his nails right down to the quick. Hes retracting his back legs when I fuss about his claws. Although the bleeding has stopped now, it does look very painful for him. Hes doing all the usal rabbit habits (pooing,weeing,eating and drinking)
Advice please :( Anything I can put on his claws to soothe them?

You need to keep a good check on his claws/toes to make sure infection does not get in. Some pain relief would not go amiss either so personally I'd take him to your Vet.
I would advise you to cover the concrete with lots of hay/soft straw. It is very unusual for a Bun to wear their claws down so much that they bleed so it might be a good idea to get your Vet to check Phoebe over for any underlying problems.

ETA Is Phoebe a Rex ?

I agree with Jane. He may have a problem with his feet if he is wearing his claws down like that. How bizarre!! I hope he is ok.

Thanks ladies
I dont know wether its because I trim the claws quite short anyway with being indoors they are usally put outdoors on grass, and the new setup is the slabs?
No Jane hes not a rex, hes an english lop apparently! He is very prone to stasis though which the vets have put down to his breed and having a sensitive tummy
Edit: come to think of it, there claws aint been done for a good few weeks now. Jane what signs should i be looking out for? I have some sachets of sterile water I could use to bathe his tootsies in?

Last edited:
Thanks ladies
I dont know wether its because I trim the claws quite short anyway with being indoors they are usally put outdoors on grass, and the new setup is the slabs?
No Jane hes not a rex, hes an english lop apparently! He is very prone to stasis though which the vets have put down to his breed and having a sensitive tummy

He could have extremely long quicks...but I would def have him checked because they shouldn't be touching the pavement if they are cut that short. He def isn't an English lop by the way...who told you that :lol:

The vets! :lol:
ive been looking at his paws and they seem ok, and he dont seem in any pain to be honest, hes tootling about like nothings the matter :roll:

The vets! :lol:
ive been looking at his paws and they seem ok, and he dont seem in any pain to be honest, hes tootling about like nothings the matter :roll:

Not Judith.... :shock:

Google English lops ;)

Just keep an eye on his claws. If it happens again I would take him to be seen.

oh god no not judith. The vet who said he was an english lop, I dont see anymore! :lol:
I know they keep a very close eye on his teeth tho cos he has a little squashed up face :lol: :lol:
Is there anything I can put on it, to make it a bit more soothing for him?

yes but an infection can creep in very suddenly and without warning..a course of baytril usually is second nature for this..its happened when one of my buns ripped out a nail and left blood all over my lounge and was walking aorund on it indoors..outdoors is even worse:shock:

clean it up with diluted hibiscrub or good ole slightly salted boiled water cooled....

dont dress the claws..and dont exercise outside till the nails have healed and antbx finished.

casper has amazingly long quicks and his nails are so pointy n sharp he should have been a cat:shock::lol: out come the trimmers..but you cant do much!

i would see the vet to stop any infection but also to see whats wrong to make a bunny wear the nails down like that so fast:?

good luck!

Back