• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bunny is limping

My beloved bunny Kara has started limping and not quite sure how it happened until yesterday I realised she hasn't been jumping up onto the couch like she normally does.
After that I remembered that a couple of days before she tried to jump up next to me and she didn't quite jump high enough and desperately tried to pull herself up before she hit the floor.
She's done it before but now shes keeping to herself and lying down in the corner a lot. But the weird thing is it's her front paw that she's trying not to put pressure on.
There much height from the floor to the cushion so we may think its a slight sprain and she needs to go easy on it. Has anyone else heard of this happening? And also might think of it as a sprain?
I'd take her to the vets but she seems to be moving around a bit more that she did the day before.

Any ideas?

My beloved bunny Kara has started limping and not quite sure how it happened until yesterday I realised she hasn't been jumping up onto the couch like she normally does.
After that I remembered that a couple of days before she tried to jump up next to me and she didn't quite jump high enough and desperately tried to pull herself up before she hit the floor.
She's done it before but now shes keeping to herself and lying down in the corner a lot. But the weird thing is it's her front paw that she's trying not to put pressure on.
There much height from the floor to the cushion so we may think its a slight sprain and she needs to go easy on it. Has anyone else heard of this happening? And also might think of it as a sprain?
I'd take her to the vets but she seems to be moving around a bit more that she did the day before.

Any ideas?

She needs Veterinary attention.
If she is limping she's in pain and at the very least needs pain relief.
Without being able to examin her its impossible to say what the injury is. It may be a sprain, a dislocation or a fracture.
Please take her to your Vet

Please take her to a vet to be checked out to make sure nothing is broken etc - it can't wait another few days to see if it right's itself :(

Yeah i've booked her in for tomorrow morning.
I thought it might have been hocks on her foot since I didn't see her land on her front paws.
But she is running around a wee bit now.
Thanks for your advice :)

It's been awhile since i last posted on this thread and i never did post what was the outcome.

Basically one vet diagnosed her as having an inflammation of the joint and put her on a course of anti b's and some anti inflammatory.

Although after a check up trip the main vet was the one who took a look at her and noticed that when she touched just above the joint she seemed to be in a bit more pain. This lead to her going to get x-rays and such, and the outcome was that she had somehow contracted an infection in her ankle bone, how this happened is still unknown and even the vet didn't know how it had happened as there was no break.

The options were that if the infection spread to her hind legs she would have to be put down, and if it got to the point that she would no longer use the problematic front foot it would have to be amputated.

Although it has been a half year later since the accident and after a 3 month cage rest she seems to be doing much better, although the way she walks on it is odd and we feel she became accustomed to this.

Our little Kara is back to her old tricks with her binkying and wanting to be chased about. Although is has been awhile since i posted I just felt I should say some form of thanks and just to let people know what happened.

So thank you :)

Back