• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worlds naughtiest bunny?! chewing advice

wee Jimmys mum

Warren Scout
Hiya

am hoping someone can offer some advice on how to discourage an incredibly naughty bunny from chewing what she's not supposed to

we came back from a weekend away yesterday to find Lola had escaped chewed my OH's beloved XBox cable :shock: it is his prized possession and i just spent a blimin fortune on it last xmas!

This is her chew list to date. . . she only seems to go for important/expensive things :evil:

Uggs - £150
Andys good shoes - £200
Xbox - £200
Andys hiking boots - £55
Andy's fave hoodie (from Austria) - £70

We only got her a few months ago and she's costing us a fortune!

We're going to totally reinforce the cage and watch her like a hawk when she's out - but is there anything else we can do to discourage her from chewing everything valuable we own

xxx

chew resistant

Well i'm not much of a bunny chew expert but in the case of chewing it really depends on your rabbit. They are very inquisitive and can get bored which is when you'll see the naughty behaviour. If you provide them with lots of chews and toys for their teeth they should hopefully be amused, ie massive weave baskets with lots of hay is nice for them in their room. It sounds like u let them out like with mine, but u need to keep an eye out if their not in a rabbit free zone. Calypso is only 8 weeks but he'll chew anything he sees and i have to cover all wires with chew free cables or lift them off the ground, he really isnt even put off by vinegar. Pasha is much better behaved and shell only chew her own cardboard box. if you give them chew snacks which they love they will hopefully diver their attention, and maybe try wiping down the wires with some vinegar which they dont like alot. saying that to be 100 percent just remove everything from the rabbit so it hasnt got access to anything it can harm, and give it lots of stuff to distract it!! hope this helps

Hiya

am hoping someone can offer some advice on how to discourage an incredibly naughty bunny from chewing what she's not supposed to

we came back from a weekend away yesterday to find Lola had escaped chewed my OH's beloved XBox cable :shock: it is his prized possession and i just spent a blimin fortune on it last xmas!

This is her chew list to date. . . she only seems to go for important/expensive things :evil:

Uggs - £150
Andys good shoes - £200
Xbox - £200
Andys hiking boots - £55
Andy's fave hoodie (from Austria) - £70

We only got her a few months ago and she's costing us a fortune!

We're going to totally reinforce the cage and watch her like a hawk when she's out - but is there anything else we can do to discourage her from chewing everything valuable we own

xxx

Was she left alone the whole weekend then?

Hi, how old is Lola? We noticed with out buns that they started chewing like crazy when they were in their teens (3-6 months). After they got neutered/spayed and a little older they stopped chewing like crazy, now they only chew their toys etc.

We never leave our buns unsupervised in an area where they can chew things. Our buns are free ranging house bunnies. They are never locked in a cage. But when we are not home they are kept in a room where there is nothing they can destroy... :)

All our cables are, if possible, kept off the floor, or in aluminum pipes. My OH also loves his xbox and he makes sure that it is kept at a safe distance from buns. Bunnies should not be able to chew on electrical cords, mainly for their own safety! You don't want to electrocute you bunny!

If buns chew on something they are not allowed to, we say NO sharply and most of the time they stop immediately.

Good luck!

I totally know how you feel.None of my buns have been mega chewers[of course there was the odd thing],that is until we got Dill.Hes found all the wires that Will & B never found & chewed them-luckily we always turn things off at the sockets.Hes ruined skirting boards,picture frames which I thought he couldn't reach,rugs,and whats worse hes encouraged my none chewing bun to start chewing!I think a lot of it is because he is a baby and was given free range too soon in their room.So have now been out and bought a bigger cage for overnight & when not supervised until he is more trustworthy.Trouble is we've had to cage B aswell so as not to separate them,which isn't fair on her.We go on holiday in a week & they will be free range again in the day so hopefully things will go ok.

its a comfort to think this is maybe (hopefully!) just her baby phase. She is 5 months old she was born Dec 1st so i think she's in her troublesome teen years. Come to think of it Jimmy is a wee angel now but he was quite naughty at that age, although he never destroyed anything he preferred to hump andy :lol:

We didnt leave her alone all weekend we had a babysitter who came in to look after the buns, feed them etc. She escaped between the last babysitter visit and us arriving back

Thanks for all the tips, the wicker basket sounds good. we got some cable protector stuff and have sealed up my fishtank wires which are exposed. We hadnt done the tv, xbox etc because its hard to get in to them at all the way they are behind the cabinet but Lola was determined! My OH has said we're getting a new cabinet and all the wires will get coated from now on.

Willowholly i feel your pain!!! We're hoping Lola isnt going to teach Jimmy bad habits - hopefully he'll teach her to behave! Its amazing the destruction they can cause isnt it. Fingers crossed for you that Dill will stop chewing once he's a bit older too!

all i can say is constant supervision and constant no's and loud claps. my girls are now really good round the house, they only thing else to do is remove everything nice till they've learnt not to touch. you could also cage things in. sounds like they did an awful amount of damage. hope you get it sorted. :wave:

Hi Ted an Petal thats encouraging :)

how is your shy bunny getting on now?

wee Lola is still wary of being touched but she was flopped out on the floor last night relaxing and sometimes she does this follow my leader chase game . . . progress!

Hi Ted an Petal thats encouraging

how is your shy bunny getting on now?

wee Lola is still wary of being touched but she was flopped out on the floor last night relaxing and sometimes she does this follow my leader chase game . . . progress!
aw thats great glad your making progress. yep my teddy still has her days. she's been extremely grumpy these last few days. but you know what when she does comes around they're the most special moments and unforgettable. really have realised the young bunnies are a real nightmare, the older the get the nicer they get. their just tipical teenagers until their 2 so keep up the good work. it will be worth it even when they've did £1000's of pound of damage. i'm sure you where furious though, i know i would have been made. :lol:

Back