• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD Outbreaks 2010/2011

Leanne

Wise Old Thumper
Hey all.

Can people please add CONFIRMED VHD outbreaks in their area with the date of first case.

This will help to warn people who have not vaccinated their rabbits and to consider minimising risks of contracting the disease.

Many thanks.

:wave:

Last edited:
We have had quite a few at work in the last 6 months or so. At least 6 or 7 I would say. Thats in Bracknell, berks.

Yes, the vet carried out post mortem testing on them and sent tissue samples off to the lab.

hi soory im new at this as i have said i have had my 2 of my buns done for mex and am now gettin other two done but vet didnt tell me about this wot is it shud i get my buns done for this to?

There is VHD in Birmingham 2010. im right by the city centre and my vet told me today she had a lady with 30 unvaccinated rabbits lose all but 6 to VHD this year :cry::cry:

i didnt realise it killed in 12hours :(

i asked was it this branch in Edgbaston or the main Halsowen one and she said from the Edgbaston Branch so close to me :shock:

We think kimmie died from this ,on sunday,leamington spa ,our road has ahuge population of rabbits,unconfirmed ,but vet suggested this,he was vaccinated for everything else.

My lovely Lizzie

Lost my Lizzie to VHD 3 weeks ago in South Oxfordshire. Vet said they had not known of any other cases but in the morning she was fine, in the evening she was gone. Vet advised was VHD. Bunnies now all vaccinated. :cry:

I lost 20 to it in Newry, in 2008, all rescue ones too. It hasn't shown up since we made a huge plea to all to get vaccinated. We never PMd but the amount of rabbits lost to heartbreaking symptoms which fit the disease was dreadful.

A friend told me yesterday about a bun that his GF's mum bought for his GF's son from a garden centre in Norwich. That evening I got a call from him to say the bun had died suddenly. The bun wasn't vaccinated yet and was 8 weeks old. So not confirmed but it could have been VHD. Mine are due to get their vacs on Saturday..

i've just lost my bun bailey to vhd(confirmed by vet).doncaster,south yorkshire.he was fine yesterday and was put down a couple of hours ago.if you haven't got your rabbits vaccinated against it, please please please get it done.its heartbreaking to see them deteriorate so quickly.
:cry:

hi soory im new at this as i have said i have had my 2 of my buns done for mex and am now gettin other two done but vet didnt tell me about this wot is it shud i get my buns done for this to?

Yes yes yes :)! They need two jabs. VHD and Myxi. Myxi may need to be done every 6 months depending on your area. VHD is once a year :)

My vet didn't think I needed to get the VHD as it was an indoor rabbit but I wasn't too sure and always think its best to vaccinate just in case. I've now registered with another vets practice that I know deals with a lot of rabbits so I'll ring them up for advice and see what they say.

Back