• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Playhouse for Smudge

Cornishlass

Mama Doe
I got an old playhouse from a friend and had another friend put it together for me. Then he laid a non-slip flooring I was given from a carpet shop - (Cos I didn't have the correct money) which is perfect for cleaning etc. I put a litter tray filled with hay, a cardboard box on its side filled with hay and a cardboard crate filled with hay (Which I thought would make a cosy den) and some toys, a food/drink bowl and fitted wire mesh to the window with a flyscreen over the top.

Does he like it? :( Don't think so! I went in yesterday (which was after his first night in it and he was on top of the box on its side, today he was sitting curled up in his litter tray.) He hadn't eaten his pellets from tea-time either day.

He eats fine when running in the garden like he is now. He is only in the playhouse overnight - till I can afford to get the walk-in run surrounding it built. He has the run of the garden from 6:30 - 9:30 a.m. and then from 3:30 - 7:30 p.m.

Hope he gets used to the playhouse.

Here is the plahouse and inside - yes, I know I've got to paint it - trying ot find a rabbit safe one. (These don't have the box crate - added that last night)

4x4playhouseviewfromgarden-dooropen.jpg

4x4playhousecloseupviewofinside-red.jpg

Last edited:
My buns were the same when introduced to the new hutch, he might be a little upset because there is so much room! Sometimes they feel a bit safer in a smaller enclosed environment. As long as he is eating and pooing then he should be fine, I'm sure he'll get used to his lovely house in a few days :)

You can use cuprinol garden shades paint which it says is harmless to animals. B&Q sell it.

Thanks - I've heard that Cuprinol isn't good even though it says it's fine. - am looking at Ronseal's Fence care at the mo.

Thanks - I've heard that Cuprinol isn't good even though it says it's fine. - am looking at Ronseal's Fence care at the mo.

It what way is cuprinol not good?!!
To protect or being animal safe? I've just painted Gwens run with this and was told it was safe for animals.

It's O.K. - found out today it can be O.K. when dry - the water based stuff is better.

I've got Ronseal's today and it's good so far - but will another coat.

Thanks - I took the window out and replaced it with wire mesh and added a fly screen, so he's go ventilation. Will also add a cat flap when the run is built.

It looks exactly the same as the playhouse I have for Domino and Cookie. I cut a whole in one side and they have a permanent run attached:D

It looks fab :D
It could be that he doesn't like the slippery floor. Could you put a washable rug or towel on it to give him some grip?

Thanks. The floors not slippy, it's a non slip vinyl. He is fine with it now. :) It is now stained Forest Green - but deffo needs another coat - when it stops raining!

that looks a lovely little play house, lucky bun! I'm sure he'll get used to it, it looks lovely and spacious, really cute!

Thanks - I took the window out and replaced it with wire mesh and added a fly screen, so he's go ventilation. Will also add a cat flap when the run is built.

Hi I was wondering what to do with window in my shed had thought of doing it as you have but how will you keep it water tight?

I have nailed a piece of tarpaulin above the window with a bamboo stick in the hem at teh bottom to weight it then when it rains - leave it down - when it is not it rolls up and is ited above the window!

Back