• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What does wet greens mean ?

seagreen

Warren Scout
I have several rabbit books in which they say:-

Do not feed any wet greens

What does this actually mean ?

Can I give Toby dandilion leaves I've just picked from the garden on a dewy morning ?

Or do I pat them dry with kitchen towel before I give them to him ?

Last edited:
I think the suggestion is to pat them dry first. The idea is I suppose that is could cause watery stools and possibly a tummy upset.....however unless the bunny was very young I think that is probably a load of tosh.

You are much more likely to cause upset by feeding too much of any veg that they are not used to or possibly it comes from people finding upsets when bunnies were fed lettuce.

Feeding lettuce which can cause problems but usually because of a drug it contains & the fact that it is a pesticide soak rather than it's water content (iceburg excluded as it is almost solid water & is rubbish for rabbits)

i guess it also might have come from feeding dewey/refridgerated greens which might cause upset because of the temperature difference. That would possibly have a little merit but if you think bunnies in the wild don't say "'Im not going to go out this morning to feed as the grass is a bit frosty". They are a bit more hardy though.

I think it comes from a common belief that wet greens if not eaten fresh and immediately can fermentate which is true if they are kept for too long, and really upset rabbits' tummies ; but a lot of people give fresh leaves justed washed with no drying to help to rehydrate a rabbit who does not drink enough ... provided he eats them immediately

I feed wet grass daily. It helps keep the buns hydrated. It doesn't last long enough to ferment.....:)

I scrub all my veggies and soak them in water for an hour before feeding :wave: I didn't used to be so vigorous but I no longer take any chances with what might be sitting on the surfaces :shock: especially after all the problems myself and others on the forum had with supermarket greens lately.

They are pat dried before feeding, though I often feed a small bowl of dandelion leaves in cool water in the heat of summer to help hydrate and cool and never had even the slightest hint of a problem :) As others say, just make sure they don't ferment too long in there (though just you try and stop my buns eating disgusting mouldy leaves wherever they find them :roll: )

As others say, just make sure they don't ferment too long in there (though just you try and stop my buns eating disgusting mouldy leaves wherever they find them :roll: )

tell me about it :roll: although they refuse to trim my strawberry plants of the older leaves and just go straight for the good stuff :roll::roll:

Back