• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New Rabbit

gemmy

New Kit
I don't know if this is in the right place - sorry if it's not.

I have only recently got a rabbit, he is 10 weeks old and I have had him for 2 weeks. Me and my husband have decided that we think he might need a friend as he seems lonely when he doesn't have our attention. I know it would be better to get a female to be his friend and I also know that they will both need to be neutered in order for them to live happily but what age can I get this done? And is it a good idea to introduce a female rabbit to my male rabbit? Just need some advice because I dont want my rabbit to be lonely!

I'd get a female from a rescue which will already be neutered and they may be able to bond for you. I'm not sure of the age a male can be neutered its been a while since I've had a male neutered. I know its 21 weeks for a female but less for a male. You might like to check with your vet when you get your rabbit vaccinated.

Around the age of 12 weeks old some male rabbits mature enough to get them neutered, others take a bit longer.

There are a number of rescues on here who have rabbits of all ages who may be able to help you with finding a suitable partner and also bonding a rabbit to yours.

It is also essential that you find a good vet to do the neutering, vaccinations and who you have in mind for any unforeseen problems in the future.

My male rabbit was neutered last week aged 10 and a half weeks as his testes had dropped (not that I had spotted them on my first look, but they were there)! I know this age is a lot earlier than others have suggested on here, but I just wanted you to know that is was successful in Dylan's case.

Back