• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Polyp in mouth - it's a cut on her tongue and she's been kept in :(

Jaypot

Mama Doe
Bluebelle was checked over by the vet last Wednesday as he was here doing the myxi vaccs. He checked Bluebelle over as I was worried about her teary eyes and mentioned that she has had dentals in the past, although not while she has been here.

He examined her mouth and as soon as he put the otoscope in blood appeared :( He said that she has a tiny polyp in her mouth and that it is so sensitive that even though it was only touched gently, it bled :( She does have an overgrown tooth on the other side but not enough to cause any problems yet :? We are to keep a close eye on her and watch for any discomfort while eating.

Today I noticed that she hadn't really touched her food and thought that it was either tooth related or tummy problems. She has daily painkiller for the polyp but I have never noticed any blood. I had given her the painkiller first thing this morning and all seemed fine - then I noticed that she had hardly touched her breakfast :(

Upon checking on her incase it was tummy troubles, I noticed some blood coming out of her mouth and as it was watery I realised that the polyp must be bleeding and it must be sore :(

She has a vet appointment for 9.10am - I didn't want to take her to the other vet as she is hopeless:roll:

Has anyone had experience in this kind of thing? If so, what can I do to make her more comfortable? What could a vet do?

She is very reluctant to eat and I have chopped her veggies up really tiny, I have soaked her pellets and have also put a shallow dish with some CC and some baby food.

I have no experience with polyps in the mouth :( Bluebelle is an aged lady of approx 8+ years.

Last edited:
Bluebelle was checked over by the vet last Wednesday as he was here doing the myxi vaccs. He checked Bluebelle over as I was worried about her teary eyes and mentioned that she has had dentals in the past, although not while she has been here.

He examined her mouth and as soon as he put the otoscope in blood appeared :( He said that she has a tiny polyp in her mouth and that it is so sensitive that even though it was only touched gently, it bled :( She does have an overgrown tooth on the other side but not enough to cause any problems yet :? We are to keep a close eye on her and watch for any discomfort while eating.

Today I noticed that she hadn't really touched her food and thought that it was either tooth related or tummy problems. She has daily painkiller for the polyp but I have never noticed any blood. I had given her the painkiller first thing this morning and all seemed fine - then I noticed that she had hardly touched her breakfast :(

Upon checking on her incase it was tummy troubles, I noticed some blood coming out of her mouth and as it was watery I realised that the polyp must be bleeding and it must be sore :(

She has a vet appointment for 9.10am - I didn't want to take her to the other vet as she is hopeless:roll:

Has anyone had experience in this kind of thing? If so, what can I do to make her more comfortable? What could a vet do?

She is very reluctant to eat and I have chopped her veggies up really tiny, I have soaked her pellets and have also put a shallow dish with some CC and some baby food.

I have no experience with polyps in the mouth :( Bluebelle is an aged lady of approx 8+ years.

Awwwww Jay poor Bluebelle :cry:

I have not had a Bun with an oral polyp but I did have one with an oral Fibrosarcoma.Thankfully he (Uncle Albert) was able to eat if all his food was soft.

Is the polyp at the front of her mouth? If so might it be best to remove it :?
If it is bleeding frequently she will become aneamic and there's always the risk of infection. I know she's an older ladyBun but if her health is otherwise OK I would seriously consider surgery.
If the polyp is near the back of her mouth it'd be more of a risky op though as the area is very vascular.

As far as analgesia goes I find injected Metacam more effective than oral in cases of chronic pain/inflammation. Dont really know why that is though :?
My Vet prescribes 12 hourly doses, maximum 0.3mg/kg/12 hours.

Please give Bluebelle a noserub from me

xx

Thanks for that Jane :) I think the polyp is towards the front of her mouth so hopefully it can be removed. She has tried to eat overnight but she's sore :( I haven't given her any painkiller this morning as want to see what the vet thinks. I have injectable metacam and rimadyl here so hopefully he will say to use one of those.

Gawd, I hope it's not the C word :(

She's in general good health except for her poorly limbs - so it's mainly physical with her rather than medical :) - if she does have to have it removed then now would be the best time before she starts with any infection or loses weight.

She's due at the vets soon - will update later :D

Thanks for that Jane :) I think the polyp is towards the front of her mouth so hopefully it can be removed. She has tried to eat overnight but she's sore :( I haven't given her any painkiller this morning as want to see what the vet thinks. I have injectable metacam and rimadyl here so hopefully he will say to use one of those.

Gawd, I hope it's not the C word :(

She's in general good health except for her poorly limbs - so it's mainly physical with her rather than medical :) - if she does have to have it removed then now would be the best time before she starts with any infection or loses weight.

She's due at the vets soon - will update later :D

Sending vibes for her :)

Poor Bluebelle has a cut on her tongue :cry::cry: At first Chris thought it was the polyp 'cos he could see blood in her mouth :( When he looked properly the polyp seems fine but he saw that she had a cut along her tongue :cry: Her teeth had been growing over towards the tongue but he thought it wasn't causing any problems yet, but she could have banged herself or being eating something hard on the other side which would have pushed the tongue onto the sharp tooth :cry:

So, she's got to have a dental and maybe a stitch in her tongue :cry: He is really busy today but hopes to get her done this morning - if not it will be this afternoon :(

We are so worried - our lovely old girl:love: Means we pace the floor all day now until we know how she gets on. I don't think he is removing the polyp today - but not sure as it's the other side to her cut tongue :cry:

He says that I will have another one to syringe feed now :(

Please send vibes for her :love::love:

Oh poor Bluebelle, sending lots of vibes for her. Hopefully her tongue will heal quickly and she will be felling better soon:)

Thanks for asking Liz :D

Well we haven't long got her home as she had a deeper GA due to needing to keep still :( I think it was Ketamine - but she is up and about a bit now - not that she is about much :roll::lol:

The tooth that had caused the problem was very sharp and as it was further back you couldn't see the damage that it had done, or indeed, the actual points on the tooth, until she was under. It was pretty nasty but she didn't need a stitch in her tongue :D

She is to have more sub-cut fluids tonight and will probably need to be syringe fed for the next few days as the teeth will have rocked a lot :( It needed to be really filed down and taken in so that it's not in contact with her tongue at all:(

She is curled up in her soft big bed with Timmy-Tickles and Chewy, who are both grooming her:love::love::love: We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed that she will take the syringe feeding and will start to eat again by herself soon.

Thank you for all the vibes, I can now eat something as I have had a wobbly tummy all day due to nerves:roll:

Oh bless her I bet that is so sore :cry:
Hopefully her tongue will heal quickly .
Sending get well vibes for the brave Bunster :love:

I'm pleased she is home and reasonably comfortable:) I'm sure she will bounce back with all the love and care you will give her:wave:

Back