• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question about Honeys Lady Bits?

Tinytoez

Warren Scout
I went down to see Honey today, shes doing brilliantly, when shes out in the garden you wouldnt believe she was the same bun I rescued only 3 weeks ago, we actually had trouble catching her to put her away!!

But, Katie turned her over to show me how her bum was doing, it seemed ok with just a tiny amount of poo on it, but she put a pair of gloves on and showed me the two folds at either side of her bum (Im sorry I dont know much about bunny anatomy yet), and as she parted the skin I noticed a slight smell and what I can only describe as crusty yellow pieces that almost looked like ear wax all over the insides of the folds.

Would anyone know what this is without a photo?
Is it something she can deal with herself, is it natural, do we need to clean it and should I tell the vet

I am taking her for her VHD tomorow, she had a runny bum after that for a few days, so Im expecting that again, but she has a runny bum one day and is ok the next.

I am also a little bit worried that Katie "may" be washing Honeys bum too much - is that possible? as I dont want her getting sore or painful.

They are her scent glands.
You can gently clean the waxy build-up from them using a cotton bud dipped in vaseline :)

Not to hijack a thread, but I noticed the same thing in my baby girl when she was about 10 weeks or so, but it wasn't yellow. It was a pinkish/reddish. Is that a cause for alarm?

I will have to check her again when I go home.

Lol we did notice it wiffed a bit, and werent even cleaning it.
Ive just been reading about it on a link I googled, but its making me feel a bit queezy. What about getting the vet to do it tomorow?:(

To be honest its best to learn to do this yourself its all part of keeping rabbits ;) . I just wrap the bun in a towel turn them over and clean with wet cotton wool , if you soak it a bit before cleaning it will soften it so it will come out easily ;)

I know it is, but is there a right way and a wrong way of doing this - I dont want to cause her any more hassles than she already has with her bum by doing it wrong because I know no better.

I wasnt even aware of this till I asked tonight.

just dont pull it if its stuck there ;) , sometmes it will come away no problem ans sometimes it needs to be softened ;) . Sorry i do forget that people dont always know these things x

Its cool, as my Intro post said 3 weeks ago, Im hitting the ground running!!
I know more about looking after Parrots than I do about Bunnys.

Back