• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded Pair - Fighting!

batemanan

New Kit
Hi,

This is my first post on the forum, I discovered it whilst looking for some advice on the internet as to what to do with my bonded pair, Alfie (Harlequinn Lop) and Jess (Ned Dwarf).

They have always got along well, been the best of friends since we rescued Alfie from a rescue centre last year. Just last night, they started fighting. Fur was flying everywhere and the are now separated from each other whilst we try and work out what to do.

They are house rabbits, and have a large room during the day (we live in a four storey house, and they have the basement room, with its own front door and natural light!) whilst we are out, and the run of the house when we are in, however the rarely venture out of "their" room.

We have recently taken in another rescue, a baby French lop from an unwanted litter, and are wondering if this may have anyhting to do with the aggressive behaviour. She is being housed in away from them, in her own indoor cage in the lounge. She plays out in the lounge as soon as we get in.

The fighting appeared to start after Alfie and the baby lop had sniffed each other in the lounge, Jess remained downstairs at this time.

We were hoping that we would be able to bond all three, after being given advice that it was possible between 2 girls and boy.

Has anyone else had any similar experiences? I am really worried about them.

Cheers,

Alex

The scent of a new bunny can unsettle a bonded pair. You will be best to keep her well away from from untill its time to bond all 3. I am guessing that the new baby isnt neutered yet and will be in season at the minute letting off a lovely scent that the couple will be picking up and then fighting over.

Are Jess and Alfie both neutered?

Hi,

Yes both Jess and Alfie are neutered, Chloe, the baby French lop, at only 7 weeks is still too young and too small. We can shut the rabbit room off, courtesy of a stairgate and a door!

How should we go about stopping them fighting though? Although Alfie is much bigger than Jess, the amount of his fur that we found after breaking them up was really quite upsetting.

Thanks for your help.

Alex

Chloe at 7 weeks should really still be with her mother.Have you had her long?Babies should not leave the mum untill at least 8 weeks.

I think you might need to try and rebond them if they are fighting. Are they together at the minute?Is it just chasing or are they locked on fighting?

Here is some bonding advise from bobtails rescue, unfortunetely our two brothers never did get successfully re-bonded, so hopefully you will be more succesful.

SUGGESTED PAIRINGS

TWO DOES, preferably siblings or at least introduced very young, are usually happy to live together. They should both be spayed, not only for health reasons but female rabbit hormone induce moods which are something to behold, and minor scraps can occur. It can be quite tricky to introduce adult does together, unless both are subordinate.

TWO BUCKS, ideally siblings or introduced very young, will usually live very happily as a pair but both must be neutered as soon as possible to avoid fighting which can become a learned behaviour. Introducing two adult males is extremely difficult and should not be attempted unless you are very experienced.

A DOE AND BUCK pair is the best combination, certainly for introducing as adults. The buck should, of course, always be neutered as well as the female spayed.

A COLONY of rabbits can live very happily with a large amount of space but introductions should be carried out very carefully. The gender and ages of the rabbits to be introduced is very important, and all should be neutered or spayed.

Please ask for further advice if required.

THE INTRODUCTION

When introducing the rabbits, a neutral area must be used. Watch them very carefully and be ready to intervene if any real aggression occurs but do not touch or talk to them if all is going well. They need to be allowed to bond with each other and if you intervene unnecessarily by introducing your scent, you will have to go back to square one. After 24 hours, their relationship will be a little more established and you can have more contact with them, but do not separate.
Even if they seem to bond very quickly, they must remain in the neutral area for at least a further 24-48 hours. By then you should see mutual grooming and snuggling. Before re-introduction into your existing rabbit’s accommodation, always completely clean out and safely disinfect the area and change anything you can to make it more neutral for the newly bonded pair.

You must ensure your rabbits have plenty of space to live and play in their daily lives – any of us would end up squabbling if we were confined to a small area with someone 24/7!

There is another way to introduce your rabbits which works just as well but will take longer. House them side by side for a period of time, swapping over their living quarters daily so they become familiar with each other’s scent and all areas are neutral. It can make the actual face-to-face introduction easier but note they must still meet on neutral territory and the earlier advice on close supervision and intervention should still be followed.

IMPORTANT POINTS

As mentioned before, all males and females to be introduced should ideally be neutered and spayed. At the very least, bucks should have been neutered for a minimum of 2 weeks before being introduced to a spayed female, or 4 weeks to an entire female.

Both rabbits should be fit and healthy before being introduced – an animal in discomfort or pain is likely to feel vulnerable and possibly defensive.

Minor squabbles can occur between happily bonded pairs if another rabbit is brought into close proximity. This is a form of misplaced aggression and should be avoided.
Rabbits form very close relationships with each other – do not separate a happy couple for any reason. They are likely to pine.
Some times of the year are easier to bond rabbits than others. Even if neutered and spayed, November, December and January are good months, whereas spring and late summer may prove to be more difficult.

Don’t be put off if all this information sounds daunting – pairing rabbits is not rocket science, if you’re lucky it can be love at first sight.

Remember – it will be worth it in the end!

GETTING THEM TOGETHER

As mentioned, all introductions must be on neutral territory. Here at Bobtails we offer a “blind date” service. We have pairing pens (minimum size 8ft x 4ft) which contains lots of toys for the rabbits to play with and run through etc. Food and water should be placed at both ends to ensure access is not restricted if either rabbit ‘claims’ an end in the early stages. There must not be any opportunity for any rabbit to become trapped and any boxes or tunnels should have an entrance and an exit. A cornered animal may resort to the ‘fight or flight’ behaviour. Make the area as interesting as possible and sprinkle treats around.

All items in the bonding pen must be neutral to both rabbits – this means litter trays as well as toys and bowls. Note it is not usually a problem if other rabbits have been in contact with them. Other scents seem to slightly confuse the bonding pair, often making them less concerned about their new partner and more about the rabbits they can smell but not see.

Once the pen is set up, there are different ways of actually getting the pair together. On method we use is to put both into the neutral area together and just let them explore for a while. They will hop around and often initially ignore the other rabbit until they have checked out their new environment. This will usually be followed by a considerable amount of chasing and mounting by both sexes whilst they sort out their hierarchy. One may take refuge in a litter tray or box looking very sorry but so long as there is no aggression and he or she has access to food, hay and water, don’t worry. The more dominant rabbit may take control of the rest of the pen, chinning everything. They may approach the subordinate rabbit, sniff then hop away. This may continue for up to 24 hours. During this time, the subordinate rabbit will slowly become braver and begin to venture around the pen. As the dominant rabbit will have established their own ‘Top Bun’ position by then, he or she will usually be quite happy with the other rabbit’s new found confidence.

It is at this point that the real bonding can begin.

After taking Alfie and Jess for a long drive last night (recommended by our vets) they continued to fight. I hate seeing them tearing fur out of each other, but have read that they need to reassert the dominance hierarchy. How long should i let the tussle continue before breaking them up? Or is there somehting i else i should be doing/trying?

Both have recently had their Myxi jabs and were checked over by our local vet. I'm really starting to worry about them. They've never fought like this before.

Fur pulling is totally normal.
So long as they are not locking on to each other.

Chasing, humping and fur pulling, although stressful needs to be left.

You will know if a serious fight breaks out.

If they fight massively, try separating them with a broom for a long 10 seconds. then see what they do.

Spring time is among us remember, so hormones are flying everywhere!

It appears to be proper fighting, and Alfie came off worse, despite being much bigger. There was a little nick in his ear, but it hardly bled.

Jess had her ears pinned back, is up on her haunches, and has her tail raised. Al the tell tell signs. When I broke them up last night, it almost looked as though they were both on their sides kicking at each other.

Sounds as though there going to need bonding again :(
On a small neutral territory.

Read the guidelines as set out above, but it may not be easy :(

Good luck

If they have had a proper fight you need to completely seperate them for at least 4 weeks..not allowed to see or smell each other.....in that time do not be tempted to try them and see.
They must forget the fight
Then you re bond as a new pair..neutral territory and careful watching..follow the advice from the Bobtails site above
If you leave them to keep fighting they may never go back together..each fight makes them dislike each other more

If you do this you could then introduce the new baby bun at same time
Good luck

Bonding Rabbits fighting

Hi there
I've been reading these posts. I'm in a similar position, except that I only have two rabbits (also house rabbits). Male & female, the male is 1 year old and the female is 8 months. They are both neutred and have been madly in love since we've bonded them.
However, all of a sudden they started fighting (about a week and a half ago) - at least I think it is fighting. There's fur and she likes to mount him - he sometimes struggles to get loose. He chases her back sometimes too. But then they cuddle up again and groom each other.
Is this normal? Will they come right again?
I'm very stressed about this and don't know what to do.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Katja

Back