• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice with an abscess-Update, better news

foofoo

Alpha Buck
Archie has an abscess just under his ear that appeared in march, he had gone to a new home with another rabbit, they were fighting a lot and he came back to me with the abscess. The vet doesn't think it was caused by a bite as we couldn't find any bite marks around it, they don't really want to do anything about it unless it gets any bigger which it isn't, but I'm wondering if this is the correct procedure for dealing with an abscess? He is a dental bun but the vet doesn't think the abscess is being caused by his teeth. Should I be pushing them to investigate it further? :?

Last edited:
Archie has an abscess just under his ear that appeared in march, he had gone to a new home with another rabbit, they were fighting a lot and he came back to me with the abscess. The vet doesn't think it was caused by a bite as we couldn't find any bite marks around it, they don't really want to do anything about it unless it gets any bigger which it isn't, but I'm wondering if this is the correct procedure for dealing with an abscess? He is a dental bun but the vet doesn't think the abscess is being caused by his teeth. Should I be pushing them to investigate it further? :?

Definately !!

Rabbit abscesses need prompt and aggressive treatment. Personally I'd look around for another Vet

Good luck

Kermit had an abscess on his face.
The vets checked him over and didnt think it was to do with his teeth, but he still got treatment for it.
He got antibiotics and i had to try to get the pus out of the abscess and clean the 'hole' twice a day with hibiscrub, then i put manuka honey on it.
Really your bun should be getting treatment for this now so that it doesnt develop into anything more serious, even if its not associated with his teeth.

Two of my bunnies had an abscess just below the ear as you describe. It was lanced and treated, which worked for a time, but it eventually came back again and again. In the end, my vet operated on both and they found that the actual abscess was in the middle ear, and the part below the ear was just part of it...

So yes, it needs treating because it could already be very uncomfortable for your bunny even if he doesn't seem to be!

Vera

Thats what I thought. I've had him there 3 times about it and all they did was give him a few meds and try to drain it which they couldn't. Thanks for the help, I'll get an appointment made for him tomorrow to get this sorted out.

Archie was in today to get his abscess removed, he's come round from the GA okay but the vet just called and its worse than she thought, the abscess/pus goes right down in his ear, she removed as much as she could but couldn't get far enough down the ear canal to remove it all and he will have lost the hearing in that ear :cry:
I'm devastated, and also angry that the first vet I saw wouldn't remove it when we first discovered it. I should have pushed for them to do something sooner so its my fault. The vet also thinks that it will come back and that it'll start affecting his balance.
I don't know much about abscesses but the vet told me he had stitches but I thought the wound was to be left open so that it could be cleaned?

I'm sorry to hear the problems you've had with your bun :cry: There seems to be a few threads to do with abscesses on here at the moment. My little bun is going in for an op in the morning for a suspected abscess (his is above the eye/below the ear - sounds similar to yours :? ) Blinkin abscesses. I hope your bunny improves and is better soon. x

I'm sorry to hear the problems you've had with your bun :cry: There seems to be a few threads to do with abscesses on here at the moment. My little bun is going in for an op in the morning for a suspected abscess (his is above the eye/below the ear - sounds similar to yours :? ) Blinkin abscesses. I hope your bunny improves and is better soon. x

Thank you. I hope the op goes well for your bun x

I dont think it is your fault at all !!
You took Veterinary advice. We cant be expected to be one step ahead of the professionals all the time.

Is this Vet going to send off a culture to see what the best choice of antibiotic therapy would be?

She didn't mention about sending off a culture but said he's had baytril. I'm picking him up at 4 so will definitely ask for this to be done as the antibiotic they've given to me in the past has been baytril :? I did question the first vet we saw about the antibiotic for the abscess and he said that baytril was the best.
He's had a painkiller, should I ask for more for the next few days?

She didn't mention about sending off a culture but said he's had baytril. I'm picking him up at 4 so will definitely ask for this to be done as the antibiotic they've given to me in the past has been baytril :? I did question the first vet we saw about the antibiotic for the abscess and he said that baytril was the best.
He's had a painkiller, should I ask for more for the next few days?

If a culture was not taken during the operation then its to late to do so now. The sample has to come from the abscess wall not the pus.
Whilst Baytril is a good broad spectrum antibiotic it wont be appropriate if the bacteria involved is resistent to it.

I would definately request at least 7 days analgesia for him.

Poor Archie :( I hope he will be ok. It is not your fault, you took him to the vet and it was their responsibility to give him the right treatment.

One of my buns had a jaw abcess and had it removed 2 weeks ago. It was attached to the bone though so they couldn't remove all of it. The antibiotic he is on is depocillin. He did have a swab taken from the wall but the lab couldn't grow any cultures so he is just to continue on the depocillin as my vet thinks this is the best choice.

I agree that Archie will need more pain relief. I am shocked at the number of vets who think it is ok to only give 24 hour pain relief after an operation :?

Poor Archie :( I hope he will be ok. It is not your fault, you took him to the vet and it was their responsibility to give him the right treatment.

One of my buns had a jaw abcess and had it removed 2 weeks ago. It was attached to the bone though so they couldn't remove all of it. The antibiotic he is on is depocillin. He did have a swab taken from the wall but the lab couldn't grow any cultures so he is just to continue on the depocillin as my vet thinks this is the best choice.

I agree that Archie will need more pain relief. I am shocked at the number of vets who think it is ok to only give 24 hour pain relief after an operation :?

Thank you. He's eating well and up and about but not too pleased with me :( I asked for more painkiller ( he's had his 24 hour one) and they said that if I think he needs more pain relief then I should bring him back in :? They won't ever give me pain relief to give at home so now I'm going to have to take him back in for it. I'm starting to get a bit frustrated with them.

Thank you. He's eating well and up and about but not too pleased with me :( I asked for more painkiller ( he's had his 24 hour one) and they said that if I think he needs more pain relief then I should bring him back in :? They won't ever give me pain relief to give at home so now I'm going to have to take him back in for it. I'm starting to get a bit frustrated with them.

Oh for goodness sake :roll:
I hope he will continue to recover well :)

well I know the problem....:roll: on another aspect, mine always says, "next time we will do this or that, for example, echograph, blood test or whatever "so it means each time she gets a quick flash of gas anesthesia, why not doing it all in once .. I don't understand that and he is very good ..

I wish you bun a full recovery....

Last edited:
Just to say that I took archie back to the vets this morning for pain relief and they've now given me metacam (about time) so now I don't have to take him there everyday just to keep him comfortable. When he goes back on friday to see the vet that has been treating him I'm going to ask why this wasn't given in the first place and why a senior vet nurse keeps telling me I can't have pain relief home for my buns after their operations and to bring them back if I think they need it :roll: Ridiculous. Archie is still managing to eat ok and is doing well as far as I can tell. Brave boy :)

Just to say that I took archie back to the vets this morning for pain relief and they've now given me metacam (about time) so now I don't have to take him there everyday just to keep him comfortable. When he goes back on friday to see the vet that has been treating him I'm going to ask why this wasn't given in the first place and why a senior vet nurse keeps telling me I can't have pain relief home for my buns after their operations and to bring them back if I think they need it :roll: Ridiculous. Archie is still managing to eat ok and is doing well as far as I can tell. Brave boy :)

Thank goodness Archie has such a good Bunny Mum to speak up for him!!
I am pleased to hear that he is eating and coping OK
Honest to goodness what did they think you would do with 'take home' Metacam, sell it on Ebay or something :roll:

Back