• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Drinking Problems.. & How much Lactulose is safe for a rabbit?

:wave: I've been given Lactulose as part treatment for Toshi's Mega Colon. It draws water to the stomach/keep the poop hydrates until it passes out. The dose given is 0.5ml once or twice a day.

He also has metaclop 0.5ml twice a day. Instead of his usual pellets the vet said to give the science recovery sachets. Other than this it is hay hay hay! Which he is not overly mad on!

He is reluctant to drink water.. he will drink Science Recovery in water (a watery version of the recovery mix) and he will guzzle Lactulose in water.. but not plain old water.

We had tried fresh pineapple, apple and water whizzed in the food processor, then sieved into a bowl.. this worked for a couple of days! He has had IV and oral fluids the last 2 days due to his lack in drinking. He is not clinically dehydrated but has had IV fluids to help get the poo in the colon moving... he is eating, still actually pooing and active (touch wood) etc.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get him to drink, I tried putting fibreplex (which he LOVES) and pineapple juice round the nozzle of his bottle.. but he soon figured out there was just plain old water in there! I have also tried tap and bottled spring water.. the vet thinks once his guts are hydrated/feeling a bit clearer he will just start drinking again?

If I fill his 500ml bottle with a Lactulose & water mix (1 part lactulose to 4 parts water maybe?) will this cause any problems.. can you give too much Lactulose? And how much is too much?

I am just trying to think of ways to trick him into using his bottle and to get him drinking his daily amount again.. his bottle WILL eventually just have plain old water in it again. But till then I need to keep fluids going in. We have syringed fluids etc but whilst I am at work he needs to be drinking!

I'm running out of ideas! :roll::roll:

Last edited:
My bridge bun Goofball rarely drink water since she was discovered to have bone cancer and have her leg removed. I force feed blackberry juice and natural pineapple juice to her for over 1 yr. As long as it's juice, she loved it.

Have you tried giving him a bowl of water rather than a bottle.
Can you not administer the Lactulose seperately from a syringe into his mouth so as his water does not taste strange to him.

Yes he has 2 bowls 1 of spring bottled water 1 of tap water, and his bottle.
All changed regularly.

He will only drink watery recovery or lactulose with water. He won't touch plain water, at all, and has even gone off fruit water (pineapple/apple & water)

I thought if I put lactulose in the water it would get some extra fluids in.. as he will actually drink this. As otherwise I will end up feeding him several sachets of recovery a day just to get his water intake to 250ml a day. (which I am not sure if this much recovery mix is good for him?) He hasn't touched his bottle for 2 weeks, drank pineapple water from a bowl for just over 1 week, then had to be syringed as he just wouldn't drink anything.

The lactulose in water is the first proper drinking session he had for a few days of his own accord :D This is why I wonder if I can continue to tempt him with this.. :? to get the gut hydrated again and that god darn poop OUT! :D Rabbits ey :roll: :D

Have you tried putting Avipro-C probiotic into his water. All my Rabbits drink twice as much water if Avipro is added.

I certainly would not think adding Lactulose to his water would be a good idea longterm as you wont get an accurate dose into him and 'yes' it is possible to give too much lactulose which would obviously be a bad idea.

I looked for avipro but could only find the one for birds on Vetuk.. (avipro plus I think) I will have a look on t'internet and see if I can find some.. where do you get your's (online??)

I'm going to leave doing the lactulose and water thing then, as I don't want to make him poorly (or worse) I looked it up online but could only find side effects for humans, and cats (or lab rabbits!)

He had yesterdays dose in 20ml of water - which is what gave me the idea as he gobbled it down.. but today I will just give it as the vet prescribed.. straight 0.5ml 2 times a day. Here is hoping he loves Avipro (knowing him, probably not!)

Thanks Jane.. :wave:

Not to worry - I plugged my brain in and looked on the forum - found your (Jane's) previous post saying it's also avipro plus.. my head is all over at the mo... :roll: Stress with buns, stress with work :roll: Thanks again Jane :D

I have just found it on Vetuk.. a teeney bit cheaper & free P&P I posted it up incase any RU members are due to restock.. I say we need a supplier section on RU :idea::idea:

Back