• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Multiple bunnies

batmobile

Mama Doe
Hi All,

I am relatively new here but have posted a few times. Myrtle, my new bunny who was found wandering the streets is doing really well and now just needs booking in for a spay so I can find her a pal.
My question is as follows:
I have some unused stables. Each are about 16ft by 16ft, probably a bit more. I have decided to create my very own 'bunny empire' by cutting a hole in the side and attaching an aviary of about 15ft by 9ft, anchored into the ground and meshed under the earth to stop digging out or in. This is a heck of a lot of work as you can imagine but I think ultimately worth it. In the stable there will be hutches and shelves and various toys, tunnels etc too. During the day the top of the stable door will be open and closed at night. Some of the aviary will be covered to provide extra shelter from rain but it will all have access to grass and vegetation. How many bunnies would live happily together in a lay out like this? I want a pair but it seems a heck of a space for two bunnies when perhaps I could rescue more bunnies in the end and give them all a home like this.
Ultimately I would like to convert the other two stables in a similar manner but for the time being 1 is all I can afford, if that....
Is i wrong that I am ridiculously excited about this plan and for someone who is not in the slightest bit interested in gardening, chomping at the bit to get digging?
Jo x

Wow that sounds amazing, forget the bunnies i want to live in it :lol::lol:

I gues the size of the group to a certain extent depends on the personalities of the bunnies and whether they accept new buns joining them.

Good luck with it all and you must post picture when it is finished :)

I think it sounds a terrific project and the end result would be well worth the effort, especially if you were able to offer such a lovely home to some rescue bunnies. Good luck and keep us posted as to how you get on:wave:

It sounds great :)

The easiest number to have is one boy and one girl. Obviously they both need to be neutered. If you are worried about being a new bunny owner then I would do this to begin with. It depends on the personalities of the individual rabbits but one boy and one girl has the highest chance of success when bonding.

With the size of the setup you are planning you could keep a lot of rabbits in there, I think there would be adequate space for 10. But the more you add the harder it will be to bond them all. Some rabbits just don't get on well with others, especially if they are boys. Have you considered splitting it down the middle? There would certainly be enough space for two seperate groups of bunnies in each half. You might find some rescues have groups of bunnies that could be rehommed together. Usually that would be a mother with her daughters and they could be in a group of 3-5.

That sounds wicked, I know how you feel I'm really excited about getting a free run shed for my bunnies and dressing it up for them.

Without trying to rain on the parade though you may want to think about the half open door during the day if you live in a fox prone area. They can easily jump it.

Above spam reported

I think it sounds fantastic what you've got planned :D

I'm currently bonding a group of 12 :shock: who will live in a 8 x 5 playhouse with permanent access to an aviary of 21 x10 - there's a thread I've started in rabbit chat to show what I'm hoping to do.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=174425

I think number of bunnies you can bond in the space you've got depends on the actual size of the buns & their personalities. I agree with timb0h - I think I would have a look on Rabbit rehome & Rabbits in need to see if there are any large groups that are waiting for homes. You could then see if the rescue where they are, would allow you to take Myrtle along to see if they would bond her into the group for you.

Good luck & keep us posted on how you go on & what you decide :D

Back