• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! do i go to emergancy vets or not?

sam and nala

Alpha Buck
for those of you who dont no my bun has been spayed today

she is taking some recovary food through syringe and water through syringe well that was at 6.30pm now she is having non of it.

i got her back at 3pm

there has been no poo since i got her back

rang emergancy vets he said bring her in if you wish too but its not un common for them not too poo for upto 24hrs after surgery

surely this is not right!

for those of you who dont no my bun has been spayed today

she is taking some recovary food through syringe and water through syringe well that was at 6.30pm now she is having non of it.

i got her back at 3pm

there has been no poo since i got her back

rang emergancy vets he said bring her in if you wish too but its not un common for them not too poo for upto 24hrs after surgery

surely this is not right!

:wave: personally i have never given recovery mix straight after a neuter. They just want to sleep and rest so where ever the bun lie or seems settled i would place a water bowl hay and a bit of their fav veg (anything to get them munching:).

I think it might be a bit risky giving her stuff via syringe as she might not be awake enough yet.
x

see whats confusing me is each vet has told me diffrent im really finding it hard to know whats best to do for her

surly she should be pooing having had recovary diet or not :?

or is it normal for them not too poo

if in doubt i would take her to the vets, im personally new to rabbits so someone with more experience will come along, but i got mine castrated (i know not the same) and i was told that he had to be given liquid food if he hadnt eating by 8 and if he wouldnt take that to bring him straight in. if it gives u peace at mind take her in. hope she gets better soon

see whats confusing me is each vet has told me diffrent im really finding it hard to know whats best to do for her

surly she should be pooing having had recovary diet or not :?

or is it normal for them not too poo

Can only say from my experiences but mine didnt eat for the first few hours- and i never gave them recovery, i just gave them everything i know they loved sprinkled around them.

it also can take a while for them to poo. Just try letting your bun rest and tempting her. A water bowl next to her is a must- she is not going to want to move for a while so bring everything to her:).
x

Most of mine never ate untill the following day after a neuter,As long as she has food there if shes tempted id leave her

if its any help at all my girl buns took longer to get over it than my boy buns. The op is worse for the girls. Mine just seemed very sleepy for the rest of the day, but were mostly back to normal with their food the following day. They did spend a few days being very quiet and sleeping lots.
If you are worried about it though speak to your vet again. Always better safe than sorry.

it's a major surgery. Just like a human, it takes time to recover. Most bun need 24 to 48 hr. to recover. So not eating is normal.

You should tempt your bun w/ her favorite treats, fruits and veggies for the next 2 day to induce her diet. She should also be given 3 to 4 days of pain killer, metacam.

I personally wouldnt be forcing recovery food down her :? The vet is right IMO, if bunny hasnt done any poo/wee by the morning, then id call the vet for advice, but its early days at the moment. Its totally normal for them not to poo/wee for a short while after a major op like this. Remember its quite a big op for a female bunny.

She just needs to be kept warm, and needs to rest. Put her normal food in a bowl for her, along with her favourite veggies. Also give her a water bowl, as this is easier for them to drink from after a spey :)

I dont think she needs to see the emergency vet tonight, from what youve explained, she just needs to be kept warm and quiet :) xXx

it's a major surgery. Just like a human, it takes time to recover. Most bun need 24 to 48 hr. to recover. So not eating is normal.

You should tempt your bun w/ her favorite treats, fruits and veggies for the next 2 day to induce her diet. She should also be given 3 to 4 days of pain killer, metacam.

i have been given no pain killer:? just the recovary food

It's a worrying time isn't it. But I agree, our Maisey, was very sleepy for 24 hours really, only ate a little of things that were hand fed to her, but she did carry on weeing and pooing all the time.

If you have spoken to the vet and he's not worried, I would let her rest, get the lights out and leave her be, maybe check on her in the night if you can, I suspect she will wee and poo by morning if she hasn't then I would certainly get her straight to the vets then.

I know just how you feel, Maisey is a really lively girl and it was very strange seeing her so quiet but in 2 days she was back to her normal self and we were having trouble keeping her from jumping on the chairs.

My buns that have been speyed have not eaten till the next morning. Make sure she has a dish of water as well as a bottle in case she cant reach the bottle. I would worry giving her recovery food would cause her to struggle too much and hurt her stitches. Just offer her herbs and food that will tempt her to eat. Mine have been really drowsy till the next morning and have not wanted to move about very much. Keep her warm and talk to her to let her know you're there and you will probably see a difference by morning. Good luck

i have been given no pain killer:? just the recovary food

I don't think that's abnormal, they usually give an injected painkiller that lasts about 24hrs at the time of the surgery and then see how they go after that - the problem is that if you give too much painkiller, she won't know that she has a major wound and risks damaging it, so in a weird kind of way it's safer to not give it to clients without the bun seeing a vet again.

I certainly wouldn't panic tonight, I would leave her well alone somewhere warm, quiet, dark or dimly lit, surrounded by yummy food and a bowl of water. Trying to syringe feed her at this stage will more than likely just stress her out. Imagine - if you'd had a hysterectomy I doubt you'd fancy someone trying to force a big dinner down you either - it's pretty normal at the moment :)

If she's still not eating or pooping tomorrow then I would take her back to the vets probably for some more gut stimulant/painkiller but for now I think fussing over her will stress her out and do more harm than good. Just let her be and hopefully she'll be feeling a bit better in the morning :)

i did as advised by the people who ha posted on my thread which was leave her be, have lots of yummies around her an a bowl of water.

this morning when i woke up she was eating some hay:D only a bit but its better than nothing

there was 4 lovely round droppings:) not alot but apparently it means there is no blockage so i was happy with that

i think i just feel a bit mean after people saying i shouldnt be force feeding her but the vet who done the spay said to feed her recovary food at 6.30pm if she was not eating then everyone kind of said it was wrong. but once everyone put me right i listened to the forum rather than the vet

chances are he does not own a rabbit and you lovely people do :lol:

Ah, glad she is feeling a little better. Keep a close eye on her and try to encourage her to eat normally if you can.

Fluids will help to flush out the GA. Try a dash of boiling in her water to make it room temperature and put it in a bowl, she may take more like this. You can also add a dash of fresh pinepple juice (or similar) to tempt her.

Glad she's done some poo's now. I'd keep offering little fresh bits of food - we found ours didn't think about helping herself to the food around her but would eat the bits we all passed her as we went past her in the kitchen, with 5 of us in the houshold she had regular waiter service!

don't feel bad,you were only doing as you thought best,it's all a learning curve and now it sounds like your little girl is perking up.hope she continues to get better,quickly.x

Glad your bunny is feeling a little better and has done so poos!! :) Dont feel bad - you were only doing as advised :)

xXx

Back