• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Desperate for Bunny Advice Please

Cath65

New Kit
:wave: Hi to anyone who can help with my problem. Up until yesterday we had two healthy dwarf lops, Rosie and Hector. Hector our origianl bun was a single, neutered little chap who was lonely, we had him neutered and then rehomed a little female Rosie - the matching was a complete success and they really looked out for each other and lived and played together very happily. Sadly yesterday out of the blue Hector (18 months) died the vet said Sudden Death Syndrome, we are devasted, but more importantly Rosie doesn't know where her mate is!!!! Should I try to match her with another bun or give her time to adjust, all the books say about companionship - when would if any be the best time? Please help. Rosie was a rescue and is almost 3 years.

I am sorry to hear about your experience with your bun. There is no rights or wrongs about when is the best time to find a companion for the rabbit you have left. It is whatever is the best time for both you and her, only you can descide this.

One thought would be to speak to a local rescue and find out why rabbits they have available and go and have a look. If you find something which you feel is suitable take her back and get them to pair her up with one of the rabbits you feel you would like.

Hi,

There have been studies carried out to show cats go through a grieving type process. Obviously not wanting to put human feelings on them but they must know!

My female bunny lost 3 mates over about 7 years, it was sooo sad and she never bonded aswell as she did with Peter another dwarf lop we rescued from the RSPCA.

My bunny was sooo sad and appeared to be lonely, I left it a few weeks and then had to get another. Sometimes they can reject the new bun if they are still grieving. See how you think she is in herself

xx

My bunny definitely grieved- visibly moping, and not really knowing what to do with himself.

Getting a new mate just wasn't possible straight away for me, so I made sure he had lots of extra love, and bought him inside. He's still here 8 years later and we're still very close.

Visiting a rescue might be a good idea- keep an eye out for a new friend.

Sorry that you have lost Hector.

Bunny Advice

Thanks to all who have responded - we are now five days into life without Hector Bun :( Rosie is still desperately looking for him. She wonders out of her hutch at breakneck speed around the corner of our bungalow, then equally quickly back to her hutch up the stairs across the landing and into the closed quarters where Hector last was looking for him; its distressing enough for us, I hate to think what she is thinking. Cuddling her is not an option she was ill treated before we had her, and hates being picked up, but she gets lots of treats and smooth downs, we talk to her gently and quietly and love her the best we can. I suppose time will tell and we will see about another companion down the line. Really appreciate hearing all your stories though.

Thanks xx

Cath - mum to Jess, Brandy and Sky (Cats) Rosie Bun, Bailey and Barney (Hamsters)

Back