• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding advice needed ASAP please! Updated Tuesday(post 16)

Netutopia

Alpha Buck
I decided instead of a 3 and a 1 to try and bond the 1 with one of the 3 (if that makes any sense!)

I am trying to bond Syrup and Thumper. They have been in a neutral run for 5 hours and I'm not sure that we are making any huge progression.

Thumper keeps chasing Syrup, if he catches her he humps her or pulls her fur out, but not in a nasty way if that makes any sense?;)

There doesn't seem to be any aggression from either bunny and they have lay together quite a lot.

But a few times he just keeps gently pulling out fur :shock: there is fur everywhere!

Any suggestions? Is this normal? I have taken them for a car ride and they were fine but back to the same routine.

Thank you for any help!

Last edited:
She has pretty much stopped running away now and has just lay down. At the moment he is lay next to her.

He was just pulling fur out and she was lay there.

I think that she is stressed by the whole ordeal, but not to the extent that there is any aggression.

Hiya,sounds completely normal to me:D The buns are just trying to sort out pecking order.It can be quite surprising to see the amount of fur that can come out without having a bald bunny.The fact that they are lying together is good.:D

Sounds all very normal to me, just keep going and they will settle quicker than if she split them.

Hi :wave:

Well, I don't feel that they are making too much progress :( I got quite worried about Syrup last night as she became very withdrawn, but she seems much brighter this morning, although she hasn't eaten too much, she has had some hay.

Still the same routine - Syrup lies down and Thumper goes over and pulls fur and sort of digs at her :shock: she either puts up with it or runs and he chases and they usually end up lying down together.

Is this OK? I am sure that he wants her to groom him, but I'm not sure that she is getting the message.

Do I just keep going?

Thanks

Hi :wave:

Well, I don't feel that they are making too much progress :( I got quite worried about Syrup last night as she became very withdrawn, but she seems much brighter this morning, although she hasn't eaten too much, she has had some hay.

Still the same routine - Syrup lies down and Thumper goes over and pulls fur and sort of digs at her :shock: she either puts up with it or runs and he chases and they usually end up lying down together.

Is this OK? I am sure that he wants her to groom him, but I'm not sure that she is getting the message.

Do I just keep going?

Thanks

This all sounds very normal and YES you should keep going. The positives are that there is no fighting, they are happy to lie down together.

Whilst there is no grooming this can take a while to start so do not be worried about this, just be patient.

The fur pulling, digging, nipping at her is because he wants some attention and he is not getting it. It is the equivelent of you elbow or nudging someone because they are not giving you attention.

If you have a small amount of mashed banana or some stewed apple you could put a small splodge on the top of their heads which will encourage them to groom each other (that is if they like banana or apple). This sometimes helps them move along in their relationship.

If you are concerned about them not progressing, measure the time between their chasing episodes and you will eventually find that these get futher apart which is progress.

Whoops :oops: Just realised that when I posted the reply above, my son had logged in (user: Berty!) :oops:

Sorry. Anyway, just an update to say that no more fur has been pulled today and that they have both eaten together - here are a couple of pictures:

tn_bonding1.jpg

tn_bonding2.jpg

tn_bonding3.jpg

Sorry that they aren't too clear - the bunnies are in a fenced off part of the shed and we had to take the pictures looking down on them.

Anyway, I think that the signs are good. Thank you for your encouragement to keep going. I am guessing that I should leave them like this for a few more days before gradually extending their living accommodation?

Last edited:
Well done!!:D glad to see its all working out.Yeah leave it a few more days yet before gradually increasing the area,you dont want to set them back.Keep us posted:D

More pulled fur...

... not great - more pulled fur, not tonnes, but some.

Same old routine, Thumper just wants some loving and Syrup isn't interested :(

Thumper is such an affectionate boy and just wants her to fuss him, but Syrup is quite independent and really isn't bothered.

I have tried rubbing stewed apple (which Syup loves) onto Thumper's head - he isn't keen on the apple so just sits there while she eats it off, but no grooming, once the apple has gone so has she.

Then he starts digging at her for more fuss.

Is there hope for these two?

Hi there - yes there's hope, you've just got to hang in there.

I know it's stressful but if you separate them now you'll have to start all over again.

There's been no fighting - that's a great sign. They're just taking a little longer to establish their pecking order.

It shouldn't be too much longer, hang in there, they'll work it out!

Keep coming here for support, it's good just to vent.

Good luck!

Update 4pm Monday!

OK - well things have calmed down since the apple! No more pulled fur and generally calmer bunnies, both eaten some veg together.

Syrup still hasn't groomed Thumper which is frustrating him.

I also think that they are both going a little stir crazy. Thumper has been stamping his feet a few times and I think that they are both wanting a good run around as neither is used to being confined.

I don't know what to do now - they are in an area approx 4foot by 4 foot and have been since Saturday.

I don't want to rush things but when and how do I start to give them more room?

Thanks

Last edited:
Too early yet.I would leave it a few days ,then gradually increase the size of area.If you were to rush you may affect the new bond:D

Progress!!!

Well, finally we have some progress! :D

Thumper was going stir crazy and thumping his feet loads and getting really fed up, so this morning as it is such a beautiful day I decided to be daring and give them a small area of the garden in front of the shed to play in.

They both came out glad to stretch their legs. Thupmer chased Syrup a couple of times quite half heartedly. After a while he went back in the shed - Syrup followed him and gave him a big kiss :love:

I have seen her groom him a couple of times. I am so happy :D:D:D I guess sometimes you have to trust your instincts.

Fingers crossed that this continues.

Yay!!! Great job bunny mummy!! Well done! :thumb:

I'd say it's ok now to extend their space a little bit - little being the operative word. If after a couple of days things are still good you can extend it a little more and so on.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Woo hoo!

PS - us bunny people are hilarious the way we get so excited when we successfully bond our bunnies. The way we carry on you'd think we conquered global warming or something! :lol:

Back