• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cats and Rabbits

Shellybum

New Kit
Hi

My apologies if I sound niave but could you please tell me if a rabbit is in danger from a cat. My rabbit has been having the run of the garden during the day which he loves, but this afternoon I was watching and a cat chased him.

I am not sure what would have happened if I had not dashed out. Could a cat hurt my rabbit, he is meduim in size, a dwarf lop.

I hate having to pen him up in runs as don't feel he gets the adequate exercise he needs, but if it is down to safety them will continue to do so.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Michelle

hiya,

i don't know about all cats, some my two thump at and some they just ignore. but i wouldn't trust any unfamiliar animal really.

if you are worried about their exercise just supervise them in the garden for a while so they get a bigger space to run in, and then put them in the run for a bit etc.

i wouldn't trust this particular cat if it actually chased your bunny though, although if needed i think a bun could give a mighty big kick! but saying this, some buns are very nervous and get scared easily and any sort of stress as you know could lead to them going into shock or getting stasis so i think safety must come before enjoyment in this case. :)

Cats are predators and rabbits are prey animals. Having said that, my house rabbits are not afraid of my cats. However, I would never leave them together unsupervised. It is in the best interest of your bunny not to be left unsupervised in the garden. If a cat does not get him a fox might do. I have seen foxes outside during daytime.

I used to have dwarf lops and we had cats and the rabbits were out in the garden unsupervised (bad I know!!). The cats used to ignore them and one of our cats used to sit on the rabbits and the rabbits didn't care a jolt. But unfortunately, one night, our rabbit got attacked by a fox, and she died of shock the following morning, so I would never have rabbits unsupervised free range in a garden.

yes they can!they will tease and chase it, its not a good idea to let them get used to any animal like has been said if a fox came into your garden the bun wouldnt run away would just think its another friendly animal mine are supervised at all times better safe than sorry:)

My cat would have a good go at my bunnies given half a chance. She's quite controlled while we're there but if there are any binkies or mad dashes, her instinct takes over a bit. Bunnies popping in and out of holes is irresistable to her and left to her own devices she'd definitely go for them.

Last edited:
I lived on a farm as a kid and remember one of our cats bringing home a dead wild bunny twice her size. I also had a pet bunny that I let play outside but never without me close by. I think that you just never know.

Back