• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Treatment for mites

foofoo

Alpha Buck
All my bunnies were treated for mites about a week ago because two were showing symptoms of having ear mites, they were all given invermectin spot on but this has not worked and now my female has sore red ears from scratching :( What is the best treatment for mites, spot on invermectin or have it injected?

A course of Ivermectin injections is usually best for severe infestations, one neglected rabbit I had in needed 3 two weeks apart to clear his up as they were so advanced.

Thanks. Will try the spot on again, don't want to take foofoo in for a course of injections unless I have to, the stress of that before brought on gut stasis.

I use Ivermectin in the form of Xeno 450 spot on. It needs the correct dosage, follwed by another dose 2 and 4 weeks after. However I would also opt for Ivermectin injection at this stage.

If she has red itchy ears she may also have ear mites. Get your vets to have a look and they will probably perscribe some canaural :)

Have you only just taken her in infested or did she get them from hay/bedding etc?

Just reread your post - I would defo ask vets for some canaural, the will need to look inside her ears first to confirm its a case of ear mites but it does sound like it.

Just a note also that ear mites can cause secondary infections within the inner ear - It may have got to that stage in which case she'll also need a course of antib's such as Baytril.

Hi, thanks for the advice :) All four buns are going to the vet on monday and I will ask for the invermectin injection and the canaural.
I can only think that its been caused by the hay they all have, its farm hay or from the dutch boys that we got a month ago because they were the ones that first showed any signs of possible mites and thats why we treated them all.
Don't want to stop using the farm hay either because its good quality and they all love it :) Hmm...we'll see.

Back